Dakota County Technical College (DCTC)
1300 145th Street East, Rosemount, MN
- FAFSA School Code: 010402
- Phone: (651) 423-8301
- School Homepage
- Phone: (651) 423-8020
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (651) 423-8299
- Financial Aid Page
Dakota County Technical College, Rosemount, Minnesota, was founded in 1969 through the approval of the state legislature and began operating in 1970 at a site formerly operated by the University of Minnesota. The school operates several off campus sites that offer a variety of services to students and the community. Over the years increased enrollment has required the school to expand its programs and facilities, resulting in the addition of new buildings and a commitment to providing excellent services and education. The school has recently become involved in the Green Campus Commitment with the goal of achieving a neutral carbon footprint by 2020.
Dakota County Technical College offers students a large number of programs primarily dedicated to providing students with career training programs and opportunities.Such programs provide students the skills and abilities necessary to enter the workforce as a qualified professional. This is accomplished through the combination of theoretical and practical courses that allow for the development and implementation of methods and techniques in a controlled environment in order to build experience. Students will earn a certificate or degree upon completion that demonstrates competency and allows for employment at the entry level. Graduates from DCTC have a 94% employment rate.
Students may also use earned credits from DCTC to transfer to a four year institution. Students will apply to a college or university after the completion of studies at the school, and if accepted will transfer credits and use them toward earning a bachelor's degree. Students wishing to pursue a transfer option should visit a counselor to discuss credit transfer, curriculum, and requirements for the student's desired school or schools, due to the fact the requirements will vary by college and certain credits may be non-transferable.
Programs offered include:
Continuing education courses are also available to practicing professionals wishing to update their education or are in need of a certain number of study hours to renew a license or certification.
Admissions and Financial Aid
Any individual interested in enrollment at Dakota County Technical College may do so if they meet the minimum requirements for admission, complete and submit an application, and pay all fees including tuition. Students should supply their transcripts and test scores and may be required to take a placement exam prior to registration. New students are encouraged to participate in orientation to become more familiarized with the campus, services and activities and meet with a counselor to discuss future goals, program enrollment and curriculum.
Financial aid is available in the form of loans, grants and scholarships. Students must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the information from which is used by the school to determine a student's needs and aid program eligibility when putting together a financial aid packet. Aid must be reapplied for prior to the start of each academic year. Students may also be asked to provide additional information to the school at random to verify the FAFSA's accuracy as per recent federal regulations.
Since you are considering going to a community college, you should also check out our list of all the community colleges in Minnesota and match the school that's right for you!
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $14,900. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $20 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition is estimated to range between $5,100-$6,100 for both in-state and out-of-state students
- The estimated tuition for part time students is around $190 to $230 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||82%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||54%||$4,038|
|Receiving Student Loans||55%||$6,467|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 7%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To support students and graduates, Dakota County Technical College may provide student services including:
- Online course work available
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial courses
- Counseling assistance
- Student employment
- Assisting students to find work
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges often times offer both career training courses and curriculum to help students transfer out to a 4-year college or university, that is why we include how Dakota County Technical College compares for both graduation and transfer rates against other community colleges in Dakota County and entire state of Minnesota.
Popular Transfer-Out Colleges & Universities
Many students from Dakota County Technical College may transfer-out and continue their education at the following four-year colleges & universities:
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dental Assistant Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1972)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Dakota County Technical College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping (A, C)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Business Administration (A, C)
- Accounting (A, C)
- Advertising and Marketing (A, C)
- Executive Assistant, Executive Secretary (A)
- Entrepreneurial Studies (C)
- Office Management (A, C)
- Human Resources Development (C)
- Meeting and Event Planning (A, C)
- Information Systems (A)
- Real Estate (A, C)
- Bookkeeping (C)
- Administrative Assistant (C)
- Sales (C)
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing
- Prepress , Desktop Publishing and Digital Imaging Design (A)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Lineworker (A, C)
- Masonry (A, C)
- Electrician (A, C)
- Biomedical Technology (A, C)
- Civil Engineering Technology (A)
- Nanotechnology (A)
- Architectural Drafting cad (A)
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
- Nursing Assistant (C)
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (A, C)
- Medical Assistant (A, C)
- Dental Assistant (A, C)
- Medical Administration (A)
- Medical Reception (C)
- Medical Office Assistant (C)
- Medical Transcription (C)
- Intercultural, Multicultural and Diversity Studies (C)
Legal Professions and Studies
- Legal Administrative Assistant (C)
Mechanic and Repair Technology
- Auto Mechanic (A, C)
- Medium and Heavy Vehicle Truck Technology (A, C)
- Heavy Equipment Maintenance Technology (A, C)
- Auto Body (A, C)
- Welding (C)
- Woodworking (C)
- Furniture Design and Manufacturing (C)
Recreation and Fitness Studies
- Physical Fitness Technician (A, C)
- Sports Medicine (C)
Transportation and Materials Moving
- Railroad and Railway Transportation (C)
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Dakota County Technical College.
- Saint Paul College - A Community and Technical College in Saint Paul, MN (15 miles away)
- Hennepin Technical College in Brooklyn Park, MN (29 miles away)
- Anoka Technical College in Anoka, MN (39 miles away)
- South Central College in North Mankato, MN (62 miles away)
- Riverland Community College in Austin, MN (74 miles away)