Diablo Valley College (DVC)
321 Golf Club Rd, Pleasant Hill, CA
- FAFSA School Code: 001191
- Phone: (925) 685-1230
- School Homepage
Financial Aid Office
Diablo Valley College (DVC) is a two-year college in the Contra Costa Community College District. It is located on a 100-acre campus in view of Mt. Diablo, and just 20 miles from the University of Berkeley, California. Many students at DVC aim to transfer to UC Berkeley and other four-year institutions to complete their bachelor's degrees. DVC has an excellent transfer rate, and transfer agreements with the UC California and California State College systems.
DVC offers associate's degrees and vocational and professional training that leads to certificates of achievement and accomplishment. DVC offers academic study programs in 57 occupational specialties. Lifelong learning opportunities are also available without a degree or certificate, and many courses are available online through "DVC Online."
Established in 1949 as East Contra Costa Junior College, it originally operated out of rooms in local high schools, banks and churches. It got its own campus site in 1952, and the name was changed to Diablo Valley College in 1958.
The academic calendar for Diablo Valley College offers fall, spring and summer terms, with shorter sessions available at other times throughout the year.
Colleges and Schools
Academic units at DVC are organized into academic divisions. The nine academic divisions at Diablo Valley College are:
- Applied and Fine Arts
- Biological and Health Sciences
- Business Education
- Math and Computer Science
- Physical Education, Athletics and Dance
- Physical Sciences and Engineering
- Social Sciences
- At San Ramon campus, the divisions are:
- Applied Arts & Social Science
- Language Arts
- Math & Science
- Computer Information Systems (CIS)
For students at Diablo Valley College who are seeking involvement beyond the classroom, there are a wide variety of student clubs and organizations available on campus. The focus of the 50-plus student organizations on campus ranges from academic to athletic, social, political, cultural, religious, artistic and special interest. Students who wish to start their own student club or organization may do so through the Associated Students of Diablo Valley College (ASDVC).
Art galleries featuring student art, musical, theatre and dance performances are also available. The student newspaper offers information about campus activities and offers more opportunities for student involvement.
Other student resources available through DVC include student health services, a student life office, student union, leadership, support resources, and a calendar of events, among others.
DVC has a relatively new fight song called "Go Green," which is quickly becoming a new student tradition. The traditional school colors are green and white, with gold as an accent color. The school mascot is a Viking, and the athletic teams are nicknamed the Diablo Valley "Vikings."
The Diablo Valley College "Vikings" athletic teams compete in several intercollegiate sports, including:
- Cross Country
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
- Cross Country
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
In addition to its primary Pleasant Hill Campus in Pleasant Hill, California, Diablo Valley College also has the San Ramon Valley Center in the Dougherty Valley area of San Ramon, California. Classes are also taught at various locations throughout the community.
Community resources for Diablo Valley College include an observatory that features a planetarium, and community access to theatre, dance and musical performances on campus.
Since you are considering going to a community college, you should also check out our list of all the community colleges in California and match the school that's right for you!
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $9,700. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $1,300-$1,500
- Out-of-State: $6,700-$8,098
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $46-$55 per unit
- Out-of-State: $240-$290 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||26%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||26%||$3,585|
|Receiving Student Loans||1%||$3,097|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 4%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help support students, Diablo Valley College may provide services to students including:
- Online course work available
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assistance to find work
- Child care
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Many community colleges are not only a source of technical or career training but also a stepping stone for students to transfer-out to a 4-year college, therefore we have included both graduation and transfer rates below and how DVC compares against other community colleges in Contra Costa County and California as whole.
|DVC||Contra Costa County||California|
Popular Transfer-Out Colleges & Universities
The following 4-year colleges and universities are popular choices for many students of Diablo Valley College to transfer out to. You can click on the school profiles below to get additional admissions information:
- University of California - Berkeley
- California State University - East Bay
- San Francisco State University
- Stanford University
- University of California - Davis
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dental Assistant Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1961)
- Dental Hygienist Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1964)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Diablo Valley College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
- Horticulture (C)
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping (C)
- Architectural Technology (A, C)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Bookkeeping (A, C)
- Business Administration (A, C)
- Commerce (A, C)
- Small Business Administration and Management (C)
- Hospitality Administration and Management (A)
- Real Estate (C)
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing (C)
- Administrative Assistant (C)
Communications and Journalism
- Radio and Television (A, C)
- Communications (A, C)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Computer Programming (A, C)
- Data Entry and Microcomputer Applications (A, C)
- Computer Networking (A, C)
- Computer Support Specialist (A, C)
- Home Construction and Inspection (A, C)
- Special Education (A, C)
- Energy Management and Systems Technology (A, C)
- Civil Drafting and Civil Engineering cad (C)
English Language and Literature
- English (A)
Family and Consumer Sciences
- Child Care Provider (A, C)
Foreign Languages and Literature
- Japanese Language and Literature (C)
- Spanish Language and Literature (C)
- Chinese Language and Literature (C)
- French Language and Literature (C)
- Italian Language and Literature (C)
- German Language and Literature (C)
- Russian Language and Literature (C)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Health Preparatory Programs (A, C)
- Dental Laboratory Technology (A, C)
- Dental Hygienist (A, C)
- Substance Abuse and Addiction Counseling (A, C)
- Athletic Training (A)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Arts (A, C)
- Humanistic Studies (A)
- Library Assistant (A, C)
Mathematics and Statistics
- Math (A)
Mechanic and Repair Technology
- Electrical Equipment Installation and Repair (A, C)
Personal and Culinary Services
- Cooking and Related Culinary Arts (C)
- Restaurant, Culinary and Catering Management (C)
- Psychology (A)
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
- Police Science (A, C)
- Corrections (C)
- Forensic Science (C)
Visual and Performing Arts
- Art Studies (A)
- Technical Theatre, Design and Technology (A)
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Diablo Valley College.