El Camino College (ECC)
16007 Crenshaw Blvd, Torrance, CA
Get Your Degree Online!
- FAFSA School Code: 001197
- Phone: (310) 532-3670
- School Homepage
- Phone: (310) 660-3414
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (310) 660-3489
- Financial Aid Page
Virtual Tour of Campus
Request more information about programs at El Camino College by clicking on the links below:
El Camino Community College (ECC) District is a two-year community college located in Torrance, California - in the South Bay area of Los Angeles County. ECC offers affordable associate's degree programs, as well as transfer study programs for students planning to transfer to a four-year university to pursue a bachelor's degree. ECC is ranked among the top ten community colleges in California for its number of students who successfully transfer into the UC or CSU systems, and other four-year colleges.
ECC also offers technical and vocational career training programs. Community education and high school programs are available, along with study abroad opportunities. The college offers a total of 850 academic and career programs, many of which are offered online or through flexible scheduling.
El Camino Community College was founded in 1947. The words "El Camino" are Spanish for "the road," and refer to the State of California's first road - El Camino Real.
ECC was established with a winning vote among the governing boards of the South Bay, Inglewood and El Segundo Districts. It was decided the campus would be centrally located in Torrance, CA. The El Camino Community College District is comprised of five unified high school districts and twelve elementary school districts in nine cities: El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance, Lawndale, Hawthorne, Lennox and Inglewood.
The first classrooms for ECC were portable WWII army barracks that were transported to the Torrance campus from Santa Ana Army Air Base in Orange County, CA. The first permanent building for classroom instruction was constructed in 1949. More permanent classrooms were planned and constructed over the years, as funding became available.
The academic calendar for El Camino Community College follows the semester format, with fall and spring semesters, and two shorter summer sessions.
Colleges and Schools
Because ECC is a two-year community college, it is not divided into colleges or schools, but into Academic Divisions and Programs. There are hundreds of Academic Divisions and Programs at ECC, ranging from Accounting and Anthropology, to Fashion and Film, or History to Horticulture, and Nursing to Political Science or Women's Studies. There is something for everyone at ECC.
There are many activities and events to enjoy on the ECC campus, as well as student clubs and organizations. Many students enjoy performances at the Campus Theatre or Robert Haag Recital Hall. The El Camino College Center for the Arts is a top draw for entertainment in Southern California, attracting many headline performers and groups. El Camino College Art Gallery has six art exhibitions annually, including work by faculty, students and local artists.
The campus Planetarium is open to students and the general public, and is the meeting place for the South Bay Astronomical Society. The Anthropology Museum on campus holds annual exhibits with a regional focus, which are installed by students from ECC's Anthropology Department.
ECC's student-run newspaper, The Union, is released bi-monthly, and offers another opportunity for student involvement on campus.
The El Camino College "Warriors" athletic teams compete in 21 intercollegiate sports, including:
- Cross Country
- Pep Squad
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
- Cross Country
- Pep Squad
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
In addition to its main campus in Torrance, California, El Camino Community College also offers distance learning programs through online courses, and vocational or workforce training at the following sites in Southern California:
- El Camino College Business Training Center (Hawthorne, CA)
- El Camino College Compton Center (Compton, CA)
- El Camino Fire Academy (Drill Centers throughout the South Bay area)
- El Camino College Inglewood Center (Hawthorne, CA)
The El Camino Community College campus is open to the community, and many visit to enjoy the entertainment and culture offered by many venues and attractions on campus, such as the Center for the Arts, the Planetarium, or the Anthropology Museum. Community members may tour career and technical training classes, allied health careers programs, and more. The campus library is also open to the public as a resource.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $11,100. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $1,400-$1,700
- Out-of-State: $6,200-$7,402
- Charges per unit:
- State Residents: $92-$110 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $510-$620 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||48%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||48%||$4,497|
|Receiving Student Loans||1%||$4,654|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 13%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and recent graduates, El Camino College may provide services like:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Assistance to find work
- Day care
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Many community colleges are not only a source of technical or career training but also a stepping stone for students to transfer-out to a 4-year college, therefore we have included both graduation and transfer rates below and how this school compares against other community colleges in Los Angeles County and the community colleges in California as a whole.
|ECC||Los Angeles County||California|
Popular Transfer-Out Colleges & Universities
The following 4-year colleges are popular choices for many students of El Camino College to transfer out to. You can click on the school profiles below to get additional admissions information:
- California State University - Dominguez Hills
- University of Southern California
- California State University - Long Beach
- University of California - Los Angeles
- California State University - Los Angeles
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Radiology Technician Program (more info)
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1971)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1990)
- See a list of all associate's degree in nursing (ADN) programs in California
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by El Camino College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
- Architectural Technology (A, C)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Biology (A)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Business Administration (A, C)
- Bookkeeping (A, C)
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing (A, C)
- Administrative Assistant (A, C)
- Real Estate (A, C)
- Office Management (A)
- Photographic and Film Technology (A, C)
- Animation (C)
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
- Building Construction Technology (A, C)
- Technology Teacher Education Teacher Education (A)
- Pre-Engineering (A)
- Refrigeration Technology (A, C)
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) (A, C)
- Manufacturing Technology (A)
English Language and Literature
- English (A)
Family and Consumer Sciences
- Child Care Provider (A, C)
- Apparel and Textiles (A, C)
- Apparel and Textile Marketing Management (A)
Foreign Languages and Literature
- Sign Language Interpretation and Translation (A, C)
- Spanish Language and Literature (A)
- French Language and Literature (A)
Health and Clinical Professions
- History (A)
- Biological and Physical Sciences (A)
Legal Professions and Studies
- Paralegal (A, C)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Arts (A, C)
Mathematics and Statistics
- Math (A)
Mechanic and Repair Technology
- Auto Body (A, C)
- Auto Mechanic (A, C)
- Computer Installation and Repair Technology (A, C)
- Industrial Electronics Technology (C)
- Electrical Equipment Installation and Repair (C)
Personal and Culinary Services
- Cosmetology (A)
- Welding (A, C)
- Machine Tool Technology (A, C)
- Cabinetmaking and Millwork (A, C)
- Psychology (A)
Recreation and Fitness Studies
- Sports Medicine (A)
Security and Protective Services
- Police Science (A, C)
- Fire Protection and Safety Technology (A, C)
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to El Camino College.
- Los Angeles Southwest College in Los Angeles, CA (4 miles away)
- El Camino College - Compton Center in Compton, CA (7 miles away)
- Los Angeles Harbor College in Wilmington, CA (7 miles away)
- West Los Angeles College in Culver City, CA (9 miles away)
- Los Angeles Trade Technical College in Los Angeles, CA (11 miles away)