Get more information about Houston Community College System by clicking links below:
Houston Community College System is a community college system in Texas that has community colleges in Houston, Stafford and Missouri City. The official territory is with the following school districts:
- Alief Independent School District
- Houston Independent School District
- Katy Independent School District
- North Forest Independent School District
- Spring Branch Independent School District
- Stafford Municipal School District
- Fort Bend Independent School District, but only the portion located in Missouri City.
Houston Community College System includes the entirety of the following cities:
- Hedwig Village
- Helshire Village
- Bunker Hill Village
- Hunter's Creek Village
- Piney Point Village
- Missouri City
- Spring Valley Village
The Houston Community College System includes portions of:
- Jacinto City
Houston Community College System was established in 1971. At that time it was under the wing of Houston Independent School District and used their campuses for evening and weekend classes. In 1997, Houston Community College System started transferring its operations to community college district operated campuses in its service area.
Colleges included in the Houston Community College System are:
- Central College
- Coleman Colleges of Health Sciences
- Northwest College
- Northeast College
- Southwest College
- Southeast College
Houston Community College Television is operated by Houston Community College System. It is known as HCCTV and is aired on the following channels:
- Cebridge Channel 20
- Comcast Channel 19
- Phonoscope Channel 77
- TV Max Channel 97
HCCTV is also streamed over the Internet. It was founded in 1994.
There are a wide range of programs and areas of study within the Houston Community College System, including, but not limited to:
- Computer Science
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement
- Culinary Arts
- Education and Teaching
- Graphic Design
- Health and Medical Science
- Legal Assistant
- Mental and Social Health Sciences
If you enjoy nightlife, you can find it in Houston. Check out the neighborhood bars and pubs or visit Blancos to experience a real Texas honky tonk. For a romantic night on the town, La Carafe is the place to go.
If you like to dance, there are a variety of choices, including Eddie's Country Ballroom, South Beach and the Tropicana Nite Club.
Houston is home to a wide variety of museums and historic buildings. Be sure to visit Space Center Houston or Houston Museum of Natural Science. Both are spectacular.
Take in an Astro's game at Minute Maid Stadium or drop by Hermann Park, where you can have a picnic, ride a miniature train, rent paddle boats, run, jog, visit the zoo or just relax and enjoy the scenery.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $10,100. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $740-$890
- Out-of-State: $2,300-$2,736
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $67-$80 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $160-$190 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||67%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||61%||$5,172|
|Receiving Student Loans||32%||$6,704|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2011 was around 18%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and alumni, Houston Community College System may offer services like:
- Distance learning
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial courses
- Counseling assistance
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Helping students find work after graduation
- Child care
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges often times offer both career training courses and curriculum to help students transfer out to a 4-year college or university, that is why we include how this school compares for both graduation and transfer rates against other community colleges in Harris County and community colleges in Texas in total.
|Houston Community College System||Harris County||Texas|
Popular Transfer-Out Colleges & Universities
The list of colleges and universities below are popular among students transferring out of Houston Community College System. Visit the following school profiles to get admissions information, including admissions requirements and contact information:
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dental Assistant Program
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1980)
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) Program
- Accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (since 1968)
- Physical Therapy Assistant (P.T.A.) Program
- Accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (since 1975)
- Radiology Technician Program
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1973)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Houston Community College System by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Personal and Culinary Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Houston Community College System.
- San Jacinto College in Pasadena, TX (17 miles away)
- Lee College in Baytown, TX (24 miles away)
- Alvin Community College in Alvin, TX (25 miles away)
- Lone Star College - Montgomery in The Woodlands, TX (32 miles away)
- College of the Mainland in Texas City, TX (33 miles away)