Ivy Tech Community College - Bloominton (Ivy Tech)
200 Daniels Way, Bloomington, IN
- FAFSA School Code: 035213
- Phone: (812) 332-1559
- School Homepage
Financial Aid Office
Ivy Tech Community College was founded in 1963 as the Indiana Vocational Technical College, with the purpose of providing vocational and technical training to students in the region. In 2005 the school was rechartered as Indiana's community college system. Currently the system operates 30 schools in 14 regions throughout the state. The school's name is derived from the initials from its first incarnation, I.V., which has remained even as the scope and mission of the school has expanded. Ivy Tech is the state's largest educational system and serves over 200,000 students annually. The system offers over 200 programs though individual programs may not be available at all campuses. The system is responsible for providing post secondary education and services to residents of the state and to ensure that the schools meet the needs of modern and future students.
As a two year public institution, Ivy Tech Community College, offers a variety of degree and certificate programs that result in transfer to a four year institution or prepare individuals for a immediate entry into the workforce after graduation. Academic transfer programs allow students to complete the first two years of a four year education at one of the Ivy Tech campuses, followed by applying for transfer to a four year institution to complete the final two years and earn a bachelor's degree. Transfer to schools in Indiana is made easier through agreements in place that facilitate student admissions through set requirements. Individuals seeking education at private or out of state institutions will need to meet the requirements of their desired school and it is suggested they meet with a counselor to best form a curriculum that meets those needs.
Career training programs allow students to pursue an education in a high demand field with the intention of entering a long term career in that field upon completion. Programs provide skill development and training in both classroom and practical environments that are taught or supervised by qualified professionals. Programs take between one and two years to complete and result in a degree or certificate upon completion. Individuals will have received an education that allows for entry level employment and the school maintain ties with local business to remain relevant and assist in workforce development.
Programs offered include:
Admissions and Financial Aid
Students wishing to enroll at Ivy Tech Community College must complete and submit an application to enroll, and are asked to provide transcripts and test scores if available. Students are also encouraged to take part in the orientation and to meet with an academic advisor to plan one's programs of study prior to registration. Students may also be asked take a COMPASS placement exam to determine which general education courses and programs he or she is qualified to take.
Financial aid is available in the form of loans, grants, work study programs and scholarships. Students in need of financial aid must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) prior to the school's deadlines in order to determine eligibility and awards. Additional Financial Aid resources are available online and through the financial aid office. Scholarships may require additional applications to be sent to the body awarding the scholarship and may be awarded for reasons other than need.
All campuses participate in intramural sports through programs offered through partnership with the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA). Students may obtain a YMCA membership at a reduced cost, and compete against other campuses through event organized by the YMCA. Fees may be paid for by financial aid resources. More information about the intramural sports program is available online.
If you are interested in finding a great community college in Indiana, please visit our profile page for Indiana community colleges which are organized by the percent of students successfully transferring out to a 4-year college.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $10,200. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $3,200-$3,900
- Out-of-State: $6,900-$8,287
- Charges per unit:
- In-State: $110-$130 per unit
- Out-of-State: $230-$280 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||80%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||66%||$5,376|
|Receiving Student Loans||50%||$5,671|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 17%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and alumni, Ivy Tech Community College - Bloominton may offer services to students like:
- Distance learning
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges often offer both career training programs and options for students to transfer-out to four year institutions, which is why the table below is so important, it compares this school against community colleges in the entire state of Indiana.
|Ivy Tech||Monroe County||Indiana|
Popular Transfer-Out Colleges & Universities
The list of colleges and universities below are popular among students transferring out of Ivy Tech Community College - Bloominton. Visit the following school profiles to get admissions information, including admissions requirements and contact information:
- Indiana University - Bloomington
- Indiana University - Purdue University - Indianapolis
- Indiana State University
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Radiation Therapist Program
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 2007)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Ivy Tech Community College - Bloominton by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Biotechnology (A)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Business Administration (A, C)
- Executive Assistant, Executive Secretary (A, C)
- Bookkeeping (A, C)
- Accounting (C)
- Hospitality Administration and Management (A, C)
- Human Resources
Computer and Information Sciences
- Computer (A, C)
- Information Technology (A)
- Computer Information Technology Services Administration and Management (C)
- System Administration (C)
- Computer Programming (C)
- Web and Multimedia Management (C)
- Computer and Information Systems Security (C)
- Data Modeling, Warehousing and Database Administration (C)
- Computer Programming, Vendor and Product Certification
- System, Networking, and Lan or Wan Management
- Electrical and Power Transmission Installers
- Industrial Technology (A, C)
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) (A)
- Electrical and Communications Engineering Technology (A)
- Occupational Safety and Health Technology (A)
- Manufacturing Technology (A)
- Industrial Production Technologies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
- Nursing (A)
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (C)
- Respiratory Therapy (A)
- Medical Records Technician (A)
- Radiology Technician (A)
- Emergency Medical Technology (A)
- Emergency Care Attendant (C)
- Mental Health Technician
Legal Professions and Studies
- Paralegal (A)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Library Assistant (A)
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Personal and Culinary Services
- Culinary Science (C)
- Funeral Service
- Tool and Die Technology (C)
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
- Criminal Justice (A)
- Fire Systems Technology (C)
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Ivy Tech Community College - Bloominton.
- Ivy Tech Community College - Columbus in Columbus, IN (38 miles away)
- Ivy Tech Community College - Wabash Valley in Terre Haute, IN (50 miles away)
- Ivy Tech Community College - Central Indiana in Indianapolis, IN (50 miles away)
- Lincoln Trail College - Illinois Eastern Community Colleges in Robinson, IL (58 miles away)
- Ivy Tech Community College - South Central in Sellersburg, IN (70 miles away)