Jefferson State Community College (Jeff State)
2601 Carson Rd, Birmingham, AL
- FAFSA School Code: 001022
- Phone: (205) 853-1200
- School Homepage
Financial Aid Office
Jefferson State Community College was established in 1963 in Birmingham, Alabama. Over the years the school has expanded and has three branch campuses in Shelby, Chilton and Pell City. Locally known as Jeff State, the school's enrollment has seen a marked increase since its founding, with 2010 being the year the student body exceeded 10,000. In addition to education, Jeff State offers a variety of extracurricular activities, including athletic programs, clubs, organizations, student government, as well as cultural and social activities relating to the arts in order to enrich the student body and the local community. Jeff State is committed to providing its growing student body the best services and education possible by frequently reviewing and updating programs and facilities in order to meet their modern needs.
Jeff State has near 150 programs that offer certificates, diplomas or degrees through daily, distance learning, night and weekend courses, all available to help accommodate students in finding a schedule that best suits their needs. Some programs are designed to provide academic transfer assistance by allowing the student to complete the first two years of a four year education followed by applying to a college or university to transfer the earned credits and complete the final two years of a bachelor's degree.
Career training programs provide the necessary education and skill development necessary to allow individuals to enter the workforce in a given field as a qualified professional. Students will take classroom and practical training courses, allowing for the obtaining of experience in simulated real world settings that allow for a better understanding of one's duties once employed. Programs result in a diploma, certificate or degree and take between one and two years to complete.
Some programs offered:
Admissions and Financial Aid
Students wishing to enroll at Jeff State may enroll if they meet the minimum requirements for entry, including a valid ID, a completed application form, and a signed signature page, all of which must be sent to the college in order to enroll. Students may be required to take a placement exam, and are encouraged to participate in new student orientation in order to familiarize themselves with campus life. Additionally, students should meet with an academic advisor to plan their curriculum and determine their program of choice.
To determine financial aid eligibility all transcripts and other necessary documents must be submitted and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should be completed as quickly as possible. The information from the FAFSA will be used to determine a student's financial needs and aid program eligibility. Due to recent changes in federal regulation, students may be chosen at random to supply additional financial information to be cross checked against the FAFSA in order to verify its accuracy. Aid must be reapplied for prior to the start of each semester due to shifting financial circumstances of a student from year to year.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $8,300. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $3,300-$3,900
- Out-of-State: $6,500-$7,848
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $110-$130 per unit
- Out-of-State: $220-$260 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||77%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||66%||$4,659|
|Receiving Student Loans||27%||$2,727|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 8%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and alumni, Jefferson State Community College may offer services including:
- Distance learning
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Employment search assistance
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Many community colleges are not only a source of technical or career training but also a stepping stone for students to transfer-out to a 4-year college, therefore we have included both graduation and transfer rates below and how this school compares against other community colleges in Jefferson County and Alabama as whole.
|Jeff State||Jefferson County||Alabama|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: Jefferson State Community College - Shelby-Hoover Campus
- Radiology Technician Program
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1970)
Campus: Jefferson State Community College
- Funeral Service Education Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education, Committee on Accreditation (since 1976)
- Physical Therapy Assistant (P.T.A.) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (since 1997)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1967)
- Compare all associate's degree in nursing (ADN) programs in Alabama
- Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 2009)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Jefferson State Community College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
- Agricultural Business and Management (A, C)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Administrative Assistant (A, C)
- Hospitality Administration and Management (A, C)
- Commerce (A, C)
- Bookkeeping (A, C)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Computer (A, C)
- Engineering Technology (A, C)
- Construction Engineering Technology (A, C)
Family and Consumer Sciences
- Child Care (A, C)
- Home Furnishings and Equipment Installers (A)
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Personal and Culinary Services
- Funeral Service (A, C)
Security and Protective Services
- Fire Services Administration (A, C)
- Police Science (A, C)
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Jefferson State Community College.
- Lawson State Community College - Birmingham Campus in Birmingham, AL (17 miles away)
- Bevill State Community College in Jasper, AL (21 miles away)
- Wallace State Community College - Hanceville in Hanceville, AL (29 miles away)
- Snead State Community College in Boaz, AL (49 miles away)
- Central Alabama Community College in Alexander City, AL (67 miles away)