Get more information about John A Logan College by clicking links below:
John A Logan College (JALC) in Carterville, Illinois, is known to be one of the most affordable colleges in the state, offering courses at $97 per credit hour. Established in 1968 and accredited by the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges in 1972, JALC has been serving the Williamson, Jackson, Franklin, Randolph and Perry communities for the past 45 years. It is named after Civil War General John A Logan, best known for the part he played in establishing Memorial Day, his 1884 Vice President candidature and his passion for public education.
As with most community colleges, class sizes are deliberately kept small so students can get personal attention from their instructors. Combined with its proximity to the community’s residential areas – half the students are a mere 15 minutes away by automobile – the college affords a homely and comfortable atmosphere conducive to learning.
JALC offers a diverse range of associate degrees, certificates and diplomas in disciplines such as Humanities, Business Education, Physical Science, English, Applied Technologies, Allied Health and Public Services, Mathematics, Social Science and Life Sciences. Many of their courses offer easy transfer of credits for students wishing to pursue higher education such as a baccalaureate degree.
JALC offers a robust athletics program to its students, with popular sports such as baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball and golf being the highlights of the program. Students can also join clubs for archery, nursing, massage therapy, cosmetology, construction and a host of other extracurricular activities apart from their academic courses.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $3,300. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $3,000-$3,600
- Out-of-State: $9,600-$11,560
- Charges per unit:
- In-State: $99-$120 per unit
- Out-of-State: $320-$390 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||77%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||68%||$4,594|
|Receiving Student Loans||10%||$2,626|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2011 was around 20%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To support students and graduates, John A Logan College may provide services including:
- Online classes
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
- Day care for children
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges often offer both career training programs and options for students to transfer-out to four year institutions, which is why the table below is so important, it compares John A Logan College against community colleges in Illinois.
|John A Logan College||Williamson||Illinois|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dental Assistant Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1981)
- Dental Hygienist Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 2000)
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (since 1995)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by John A Logan College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Personal and Culinary Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to John A Logan College.
- Rend Lake College in Ina, IL (28 miles away)
- Shawnee Community College in Ullin, IL (33 miles away)
- Southeastern Illinois College in Harrisburg, IL (36 miles away)
- West Kentucky Community and Technical College in Paducah, KY (53 miles away)
- Centralia College in Centralia, WA (54 miles away)