Kapiolani Community College (KCC)
4303 Diamond Head Rd, Honolulu, HI
- FAFSA School Code: 001613
- Phone: (808) 734-9000
- School Homepage
- Phone: (808) 734-9534
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (808) 734-9555
- Financial Aid Page
Kapi’aloni Community College (KCC) is part of the University of Hawai’i system. It was originally founded as Kapi’olani Technical School in 1946, when Hawai’i was still a territory. It moved to its current location in Diamond Head in Waikiki in 1974. It also has a second campus in Fort Ruger. KCC’s mission is to become the premier provider of quality vocational and degree education in the state.
KCC is the state’s biggest community college, with associate degree and certificate programs in business education, food and hospitality services, nursing, professional, academic and technical studies. It boasts a successful university transfer program to colleges offering baccalaureate degrees.
KCC is well-known in the local community for its culinary arts course, and is leading the race among the 10 UH colleges in terms of the success of its transfer programs. The college enrolls an average of about 10,000 students every year into its various programs, and charged a nominal tuition fee of about $2,300 per year for in-state students. Out-of-state students are charged at about $7,000 per year.
The college’s radiology department has already won national acclaim after two of its instructors developed a unique hip x-ray technique in 1976; in addition, the respiratory care program won a national award in 1986 for being an “outstanding vocational education program.”
KCC is one of the leading community colleges in the state, and plans to introduce a Bachelor’s in Applied Sciences in the near future. It comes highly recommended as a college where the student community is closely-knit with the larger community it serves.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $4,100. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $25 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $2,300-$2,800
- Out-of-State: $7,000-$8,352
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $97-$120 per unit
- Out-of-State: $290-$350 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||45%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||40%||$3,877|
|Receiving Student Loans||12%||$5,411|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 8%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and recent graduates, Kapiolani Community College may provide student services including:
- Distance learning
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Child care
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Many community colleges are not only a source of technical or career training but also a stepping stone for students to transfer-out to a 4-year college, therefore we have included both graduation and transfer rates below and how this school compares against other community colleges in Honolulu County and the state of Hawaii as whole.
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (since 1975)
- Physical Therapy Assistant (P.T.A.) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (since 1988)
- Radiology Technician Program (more info)
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1973)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1993)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Kapiolani Community College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Biotechnology (C)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Hotel and Hospitality Management (A, C)
- Tourism and Travel Services Management (A, C)
- Accounting (A, C)
- Advertising and Marketing (A, C)
- Graphic Communications (A)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Information Technology (A, C)
- Teacher Assistant (A)
Foreign Languages and Literature
- Language Interpretation and Translation (A)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Natural Sciences (A)
Legal Professions and Studies
- Paralegal (A)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Arts (A)
Personal and Culinary Services
- Cooking and Related Culinary Arts (A, C)
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Kapiolani Community College.