Lawson State Community College - Birmingham Campus (LSCC)
3060 Wilson Rd SW, Birmingham, AL
- FAFSA School Code: 001059
- Phone: (205) 925-2515
- School Homepage
- Phone: (205) 929-6309
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (205) 929-6391
Lawson State Community College is a multi-campus, two year college. Its mission is to offer quality education while promoting economic growth as well as enhancing the quality of life for people in its service area. It is located in Birmingham, Alabama and offers a variety of instructional modes. Lawson State also has a campus is Bessemer, Alabama.
The college provides a gateway to careers in the health profession which include nursing, dental assistant, and EMT. Lawson State Community College also offers degree programs in accounting technology, business administration, computer science, and office administration. Tuition is $112 per credit for in-state students and $224 for out of state residents.
Lawson State also helps businesses get off the ground thanks to its Small Business Development Center (SBDC). The SBDC offers guidance to both existing small business owners and those thinking about starting a business. SBDC offers low-priced workshops on grant writing, non-profit business, office management, taxes, and payroll.
The college offers students many services such as health care. Job placement is another service provided to students.There are also student organizations that help students enjoy their time on campus. Student organizations include Students in Free Enterprise, Mu Beta Chi Phi, African-American history club, pep squad, skills USA, and American Dental Assistants Association. Through student organizations, students meet new people and grow as individuals. Lawson State Community College believes that individuals should become rounded people and that is the aim of on campus organizations.
Lawson State Community College offers outstanding services to help individuals with disabilities succeed on campus. The school believes that every individual should be provided with the opportunity to achieve his or her dream.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $5,400. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $3,300-$4,000
- Out-of-State: $6,600-$7,920
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $110-$130 per unit
- Out-of-State: $220-$260 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||95%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||94%||$5,129|
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and alumni, Lawson State Community College - Birmingham Campus may provide student services like:
- Distance learning
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Employment search assistance
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Many community colleges are not only a source of technical or career training but also a stepping stone for students to transfer-out to a 4-year college, therefore we have included both graduation and transfer rates below and how Lawson State Community College - Birmingham Campus compares against other community colleges in Jefferson County and Alabama as whole.
Popular Transfer-Out Colleges & Universities
Many students from Lawson State Community College - Birmingham Campus may transfer-out and continue their education at the following four-year colleges & universities:
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Lawson State Community College - Birmingham Campus by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Graphic and Printing Equipment Operator Production (C)
- Radio And Television Broadcasting (C)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Computer (A, C)
- Plumbing Technology (C)
- Electrician (C)
- Carpentry (C)
- Masonry (C)
- Building and Construction Finishing, Management and Inspection (C)
- Building Construction Technology
- Refrigeration Technology (C)
- Automotive Engineering (A)
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) (A, C)
- Electrical and Communications Engineering Technology
Family and Consumer Sciences
- Child Care (A, C)
- Foodservice Administration and Management (C)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Interdisciplinary Studies (A)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
- Auto Mechanic (C)
- Diesel Mechanic (C)
- Auto Body (C)
- Industrial Mechanics and Maintenance (C)
- Industrial Electronics Technology (A)
Personal and Culinary Services
- Cosmetology (C)
- Barber (C)
- Welding (C)
- Tool and Die Technology
Public Administration and Social Services
- Social Work (A)
Security and Protective Services
- Police Science (A)
- Fire Services Administration
- Cartography (C)
Visual and Performing Arts
- Commercial and Advertising Art (C)
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Lawson State Community College - Birmingham Campus.
- Jefferson State Community College in Birmingham, AL (17 miles away)
- Bevill State Community College in Jasper, AL (23 miles away)
- Wallace State Community College - Hanceville in Hanceville, AL (44 miles away)
- Shelton State Community College in Tuscaloosa, AL (45 miles away)
- Gadsden State Community College in Gadsden, AL (64 miles away)