Long Beach City College (LBCC)
4901 E. Carson St., Long Beach, CA
Get Your Degree Online!
- FAFSA School Code: 001219
- Phone: (562) 938-4111
- School Homepage
- Phone: (562) 938-4136
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (562) 938-4257
- Financial Aid Page
Virtual Tour of Campus
Request more information about programs at Long Beach City College by clicking on the links below:
Long Beach City College (LBCC) is a two-year community college serving the city of Long Beach and its neighboring districts of Avalon, Lakewood and Signal Hill. LBCC has two campuses, and also offers distance learning or combinations of on-campus and off-campus learning with flexible scheduling. LBCC's Liberal Arts Campus is situated on 112 acres. Its Pacific Coast Campus is situated on 30 acres.
LBCC offers 126 academic and vocational programs of study. There are many study programs available for students intending to transfer to a four-year institution to earn a bachelor's degree. Students can work with counselors to determine the curricula they should follow for effective transfers to various university systems in and out of the state of California. Classes at LBCC are generally small in size to enhance individualized attention from professors. Many programs at LBCC are nationally ranked.
In addition to offering associates degrees and vocational certificates, LBCC offers Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS). The EOPS is a retention and support program funded by the state, aimed at identifying and assisting students affected by social, economic, educational or language disadvantages.
Long Beach City College was founded in 1927.
The academic calendar of Long Beach City College follows the semester format, with fall, spring and summer semesters.
Colleges and Schools
- School of Business and Social Science
- School of Creative Arts and Applied Sciences
- School of Health and Science
- School of Language Arts
- School of Learning Resources, Teaching and Technologies
- School of Physical Education and Athletics
- School of Trade and Industrial Technologies
There are more than 64 student organizations available for involvement at LBCC. The Student Associated Government offers opportunities for leadership, and the Viking Volunteer Program offers opportunities for community service. The College Services sticker that each student receives upon enrollment entitles him/her to join any student club and also to receive mentoring, advising, and other support services. Intramural sports and recreation activities are available to all students, along with the Women and Men's Center, among others.
Students at LBCC will benefit from the many academic services provided by the five Student Success/Transfer Centers on LBCC's campuses. Free tutoring, study groups, and workshops are just some of the academic services offered.
The mascot of Long Beach City College is the Viking, nicknamed "Ole the Viking." The school colors are red, black and white.
LBCC's athletics program holds more state and national champion titles than any other community college in California. It has twice been named the best community college athletics program in the U.S. The Long Beach "Vikings" compete in 21 intercollegiate sports in the California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA), including:
- Cross Country
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
- Cross Country
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
Long Beach City College is comprised of two campuses in the city of Long Beach:
- Liberal Arts Campus (LAC)
- Pacific Coast Campus (PCC)
Long Beach City College is part of the Long Beach Community College District.
LBCC has an online publication called "In the Loop," which keeps LBCC faculty, staff and students informed of college events on a regular basis. The "Calendar of Events" is another resource for finding out what is happening on the LBCC campuses and around the Long Beach community.
The city of Long Beach is located on the Pacific Coast, near beautiful beaches and outdoor parks and recreation areas. Local attractions such as Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Sea World, and other amusement parks and entertainment are within easy distance by car or public transportation.
If you are interested in finding a great community college in California, please visit our profile page for California community colleges which are organized by the percent of students successfully transferring out to a 4-year college.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $5,100. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $1,300-$1,500
- Out-of-State: $7,100-$8,568
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $46-$55 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $260-$310 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||63%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||63%||$4,523|
|Receiving Student Loans||3%||$3,794|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 12%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help support students, Long Beach City College may offer services including:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Employment search assistance
- Day care
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges often times offer both career training courses and curriculum to help students transfer out to a 4-year college or university, that is why we include how Long Beach City College compares for both graduation and transfer rates against other community colleges in Los Angeles County and community colleges in California in total.
|LBCC||Los Angeles County||California|
Popular Transfer-Out Colleges & Universities
The list of schools below are popular among students transferring out of Long Beach City College. Visit the following school profiles to get admissions information, including admissions requirements and contact information:
- California State University - Long Beach
- California State University - Dominguez Hills
- California State University - Fullerton
- University of Southern California
- California State University - Los Angeles
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1966)
- See a list of all associate's degree in nursing (ADN) programs in California
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Long Beach City College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
- Horticulture (A, C)
- Floriculture, Floristry Operations and Management (C)
- Architectural Technology (A)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Biology (A)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Business Administration (A, C)
- Administrative Assistant (A, C)
- Bookkeeping (A, C)
- Real Estate (A, C)
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing (A, C)
- Commerce (A, C)
- International Business (A, C)
- Customer Service Support (A, C)
- Hotel and Hospitality Management (C)
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
- Carpentry (C)
- Education, Early Childhood Special Education Programs (C)
- Special Education (A, C)
- Telecommunications Engineering (C)
- Mechanical Drafting and Mechanical Drafting cad (A, C)
- Refrigeration Technology (A, C)
- Architectural Drafting cad (A, C)
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) (C)
- Mechanical Technology Technician (C)
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
- Child Care Provider (A, C)
- Foodservice Administration and Management (A, C)
- Family and Community Services (C)
- Apparel and Textile Marketing Management (A, C)
- Apparel and Textile Manufacture (C)
Foreign Languages and Literature
- Foreign Languages and Literatures (A)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Nursing (A, C)
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (A, C)
- Medical Assistant (A, C)
- Substance Abuse and Addiction Counseling (A, C)
- Radiologic Technology (A, C)
- Dietetic Technician (A, C)
- Phlebotomy (C)
Legal Professions and Studies
- Legal Administrative Assistant (C)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Arts (A)
- Library Assistant (A, C)
Mathematics and Statistics
- Math (A)
Mechanic and Repair Technology
- Auto Mechanic (A, C)
- Electrical Equipment Installation and Repair (A, C)
- Aircraft Mechanic (A, C)
- Alternative Fuel Vehicle Technology (A, C)
- Diesel Mechanic (A, C)
- Auto Body (C)
Personal and Culinary Services
- Cooking and Related Culinary Arts (A, C)
- Physical Sciences (A)
- Welding (C)
- Sheet Metal Technology (C)
Public Administration and Social Services
- Human Services (A, C)
Recreation and Fitness Studies
- Sports Medicine (A)
Security and Protective Services
- Police Science (A, C)
- Fire Protection and Safety Technology (A, C)
- Forensic Science (C)
- Social Sciences (A)
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Long Beach City College.