Metropolitan Community College - Penn Valley
Also known as MCC-Penn Valley
3201 SW Trafficway, Kansas City, MO
- FAFSA School Code: 002484
- Phone: (816) 759-4000
- School Homepage
- Phone: (816) 759-4100
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (816) 759-4066
- Financial Aid Page
Metropolitan Community College, located in Kansas City, Missouri, was founded in 1915 when the school was known as the Kansas City Polytechnic Institute which had an initial enrollment of 234. The school became the Junior College of Kansas City in 1919, becoming the first college in the Unites States to award an associate's degree. By 1964 the school became part of the voter approved Metropolitan Community College District, adding the schools of Longview, Maple Woods and Penn Valley five years after the establishment of the district. 1997 saw the addition of Blue River Community College, and by 2005 all the schools in the district were merged into the singular entity we know as Metropolitan Community College.
A majority of MCC students will utilize the school's transfer opportunities in order to continue their education at a college or university. Academic transfer allows for the completion of the freshman and sophomore years of a four year education, including the fulfillment of many general education courses, prior to the transfer of the student to a four year institution to complete their final two years and earn a bachelor's degree. Transfer to public schools in Missouri may be facilitated through agreements in place with the MCC in order to guarantee admission based on course fulfillment and minimum GPA. Individuals wishing to transfer to private or out of state schools will have to apply separately to each, and those schools will have varying requirement for admission.
Other students may choose to pursue career training options, developing skills and abilities for a given field through a number of classroom and practical courses. Practical courses in particular will be used for programs and fields that require the student to have hands on experience accomplishing specific tasks necessary to enter the workforce as a professional, and as such provide a controlled environment under the supervision of professional in order to learn properly. Programs take between one and two years to complete, resulting in a certificate or degree and allowing for the pursuit of entry level employment after graduation.
Programs offered include:
Admissions and Financial Aid
Any individual wishing to enroll at Metropolitan Community College may do so if they meet the minimum requirements for admission, submit a completed application and pay all accrued fees after registration is completed. Students are also asked to supply previous transcripts and standardized test scores (if available), which may be used in lieu of a placement exam. Participation in new student orientation is encouraged, and meeting with a counselor to discuss program enrollment and curriculum is suggested.
Financial aid is available in the form of loans, grants and scholarships. Students in need of financial assistance must submit a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the information from which will be used to determine the depth of the student's needs and what programs for aid he or she is eligible for. Aid must be reapplied for prior to each academic year.
Find out which are some of the better community colleges in Missouri based on transfer rates, listings information also includes tuition, fees and enrollment data..
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $1,000. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $2,500-$3,000
- Out-of-State: $6,200-$7,380
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $82-$98 per unit
- Out-of-State: $210-$250 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||56%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||56%||$4,971|
|Receiving Student Loans||10%||$4,564|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 10%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To support students and graduates, Metropolitan Community College - Penn Valley may provide services to students like those listed below:
- Distance learning
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial courses
- Counseling assistance
- Work study style employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
- Day care
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Many community colleges are not only a source of technical or career training but also a stepping stone for students to transfer-out to a 4-year college, therefore we have included both graduation and transfer rates below and how this school compares against other community colleges in Jackson County and the state of Missouri as whole.
|MCC-Penn Valley||Jackson County||Missouri|
Popular Transfer-Out Colleges & Universities
The following 4-year colleges and universities are popular destinations for many students of Metropolitan Community College - Penn Valley to transfer out to. You can click on the school profiles below to get additional admissions information:
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dental Assistant Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1998)
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (since 1984)
- Physical Therapy Assistant (P.T.A.) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (since 1973)
- Radiology Technician Program (more info)
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1972)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1994)
- See a list of all associate's degree in nursing (ADN) programs in Missouri
- Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1979)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Metropolitan Community College - Penn Valley by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
- Computer Programming, Specific Applications (A, C)
- Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services (C)
- Teacher and Professional Development (A)
- Engineering (A)
Family and Consumer Sciences
- Child Care Provider (A, C)
- Apparel and Textile Manufacture (A)
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
- Paralegal (A)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Arts (A, C)
Visual and Performing Arts
- Commercial and Advertising Art (A)
- Industrial Design (C)
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Metropolitan Community College - Penn Valley.
- Metropolitan Community College - Longview in Lees Summit, MO (7 miles away)
- Metropolitan Community College - Blue River in Independence, MO (12 miles away)
- Metropolitan Community College - Maple Woods in Kansas City, MO (17 miles away)
- State Fair Community College in Sedalia, MO (68 miles away)
- Southwestern Community College in Creston, IA (142 miles away)