Get more information about Nassau Community College by clicking links below:
Nassau Community College (NCC), located in Garden City, New York, is part of the State University of New York (SUNY) system. Located on a 225-acre campus in the middle of Long Island, NCC offers day, evening, weekend and continuing education classes in 70 fields of study. NCC is the largest single-campus community college in New York State, and offers associate degrees and professional certificates.
NCC faculty have been widely recognized for their expertise, and many have received the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching. Faculty members include many Fulbright Scholars, researchers, authors and artists, among others. Buildings on campus include a childcare center and a new Life Sciences building.
A majority of NCC students transfer to four-year colleges or universities, where they will arrive as juniors, well-prepared to complete a bachelor's degree.
Nassau Community College was created in 1959 as part of the State University of New York (SUNY) system. It held its first classes in 1960 within one wing of the old Nassau County Courthouse, with just over 600 enrolled students. The school moved to the former Mitchell Air Force Base in 1962. The school later expanded to its current 225 acres.
The academic calendar of Nassau Community College follows the semester format, with fall and spring semesters. There is also a shorter "Winterim" session that runs from December to mid-January, and short summer sessions.
Colleges and Schools
Academic units at NCC are organized into departments, programs and learning centers, rather than into colleges and schools. Academic departments at NCC are:
- Accounting and Business
- Africana Studies
- Allied Health Sciences
- Criminal Justice
- Economics Finance
- Engineering, Physics & Technology
- Foreign Languages
- Health, Physical Education & Recreation
- History, Political Science & Geography
- Hospitality Business
- Legal Studies
- Marketing, Retailing, Fashion Design & Interior Design
- Mathematics, Computer Science & Information Technology
- Mortuary Science
- Office Technology
- Physical Sciences
- Reading Basic Education
- Student Personnel Services
- Theatre & Dance
Student support centers at Nassau Community College include Student Personnel Services, an Adult Resource Center, Career Development, and Center for Students with Disabilities, Educational Counseling, Job Placement, Psychological Counseling, a Women's Resource Center, and more.
NCC has many special programs to support student needs, including:
- Honors Program
- The Achilles Project
- English as a Second Language
- Distance Education
- Weekend College
- Summer Sessions
- The College Experience
- Learning Communities, N SINCC
- International Study Programs
- Programs for Military Personnel
Students at NCC may enjoy campus dances, performances at the NCC Theatre and Dance Department, or one of the many music concerts held on campus. Multicultural fairs, blood drives, art exhibits, and intramural sports are other activities students can participate in. There are more than 100 student clubs and organizations to choose from, covering academic, religious, political and cultural interests, and more.
The school colors are orange and blue. The NCC school mascot is a lion.
Athletic teams at Nassau Community College belong to the Region XV Conference of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA). The NCC Lions compete in many intercollegiate sports, including:
- Cross County
- Kickline Club
- Track and Field
- Cheerleader and Dance Squads
- Cross Country
- Track and Field
NCC is a single-campus community college.
Students at NCC can join a Learning Community to increase academic achievement, and make connections between courses. These programs provide opportunities for making new friends and additional interactions with faculty.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $5,900. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $50 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $4,000-$4,800
- Out-of-State: $8,000-$9,576
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $170-$200 per unit
- Out-of-State: $330-$400 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||56%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||49%||$5,130|
|Receiving Student Loans||13%||$4,862|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2011 was around 15%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and alumni, Nassau Community College may provide services like:
- Online course work available
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assistance to find work
- Day care for children
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Students who attend a community college will be able to choose from a variety of programs that will lead to an associate's degree or transfer to a four year institution. The following list shows graduation and transfer-out rates for NCC compared to community colleges in New York, which can be useful for determining which community college to attend.
|NCC||Nassau County||New York|
Popular Transfer-Out Colleges & Universities
The list of colleges below are popular among students transferring out of Nassau Community College. Visit the following school profiles to get admissions information, including admissions requirements and contact information:
- Hofstra University
- Long Island University - C W Post Campus
- St. John's University - New York
- CUNY Queens College
- Fordham University
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Funeral Service Education Program
- Accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education, Committee on Accreditation (since 1991)
- Physical Therapy Assistant (P.T.A.) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (since 1971)
- Radiation Therapist Program
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1986)
- Music Program
- Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation, Commission on Community/Junior College Accreditation (since 1978)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the New York State Board of Regents, State Education Department, Office of the Professions (Nursing Education) (since 1962)
- Compare all associate's degree in nursing (ADN) programs in New York
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Nassau Community College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Personal and Culinary Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Nassau Community College.
- CUNY Queensborough Community College in Bayside, NY (9 miles away)
- CUNY LaGuardia Community College in Long Island City, NY (18 miles away)
- Hostos Community College - CUNY in Bronx, NY (19 miles away)
- CUNY Bronx Community College in Bronx, NY (19 miles away)
- CUNY Kingsborough Community College in Brooklyn, NY (21 miles away)