North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC)
500 College Dr, Mason City, IA
- FAFSA School Code: 001877
- Phone: (641) 423-1264
- School Homepage
- Phone: (641) 422-4245
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (641) 422-4168
North Iowa Area Community College, located in Mason City, Iowa, was founded in 1918 and originally known as Mason City Junior College. The school was the first two year institution in the state and operated out of a high school until it was given a new location in the Memorial University Building. The school was given a new home in downtown Mason City and renamed to its current in 1965 through legislation enacted by the state that created a system of two year colleges. The school was given a permanent home in 1970 where it continues to operate.
North Iowa Area Community College is a public two year institution that offers a variety of programs that allow for academic transfer, career training, or adult and continuing education. Academic transfer programs provide the first two years of a four year education, after the completion of which earned credits may be transferred to four year institutions in order to continue one' education. Career training programs take between one and two years to complete, resulting in a degree or certificate that assists in the pursuit of long term employment in one's chosen high demand field or industry. Adult and continuing education courses allow adults to pursue education or career development options as desired or needed.
Programs offered include:
Admissions and Financial Aid
North Iowa Area Community College is an open enrollment institution that admits any individual interested in joining. Students should be at least eighteen years old or have a high school diploma, and should submit an application, transcripts, and test scores, as well as pay all associated fees. Students may be required to take a placement exam prior to registration. Participation in new student orientation and meeting with a counselor are encouraged. Financial aid is available in the form of loans and grants which are awarded based on need as determined by the information a student provides on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
To get more information on other community colleges in Iowa and compare transfer rates, visit our community colleges in Iowa details page where you can find a complete list of community colleges including information on tuition and enrollment.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $6,600. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $3,700-$4,400
- Out-of-State: $5,500-$6,599
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $120-$150 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $180-$220 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||88%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||75%||$3,866|
|Receiving Student Loans||54%||$4,502|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 11%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help support students, North Iowa Area Community College may offer services to students like those listed below:
- Online course work available
- Remedial courses
- Counseling assistance
- Work study style employment
- Assistance to find work
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Students who attend a community college will be able to choose from a variety of programs that will lead to an associate's degree or transfer to a four year institution. The following list shows graduation and transfer-out rates for NIACC compared to community colleges located in Iowa, which can be useful for determining which community college to attend.
|NIACC||Cerro Gordo County||Iowa|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Physical Therapy Assistant (P.T.A.) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (since 1997)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1988)
- See a list of all associate's degree in nursing (ADN) programs in Iowa
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by North Iowa Area Community College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
- Agricultural Production Operations (A, C)
- Agricultural Supplies, Retailing and Wholesaling (A)
- Agricultural Economics (A)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Business Administration (A, C)
- Accounting (A, C)
- Bookkeeping (C)
- Administrative Assistant (A, C)
- Insurance (A)
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing (A, C)
- Hospitality Administration and Management (A)
- Entrepreneurial Studies (C)
- Prepress , Desktop Publishing and Digital Imaging Design (A)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Carpentry (C)
- Electrical and Communications Engineering Technology (A, C)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Interdisciplinary Studies (A, C)
Legal Professions and Studies
- Legal Administrative Assistant (A, C)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Arts (A, C)
Mechanic and Repair Technology
- Tool and Die Technology (A, C)
- Welding (C)
Public Administration and Social Services
- Human Services (C)
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
- Police Science (A)
- Fire Protection and Safety Technology
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to North Iowa Area Community College.
- Riverland Community College in Austin, MN (37 miles away)
- Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls, IA (44 miles away)
- Hawkeye Community College in Waterloo, IA (64 miles away)
- Northeast Iowa Community College - Calmar in Calmar, IA (65 miles away)
- Iowa Central Community College in Fort Dodge, IA (71 miles away)