Orange Coast College (OCC)
2701 Fairview Road, Costa Mesa, CA
- FAFSA School Code: 001250
- Phone: (714) 432-5072
- School Homepage
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (714) 432-5508
- Financial Aid Page
Orange Coast College (OCC) is a two-year community college located near the coastline south of Los Angeles, in Costa Mesa, California. OCC has more than 130 academic and career training programs that lead to a certificate of achievement or an associate's degree. OCC prepares a significant number of its students for successful transfer into the University of California and California State University systems, as well as private colleges and universities nationwide.
OCC has state-of-the art classrooms with the latest technology, and the OCC faculty provides different teaching methods for different learning styles, as well as various lectures and labs. OCC offers both on campus and online classes.
Career and certificate programs at OCC range from accounting to airline service careers, aviation pilot training to jewelry design or Web design, computer programming to dental assisting, from early childhood education to emergency medical technician, and hotel management to professional mariner training, welding, and many more.
Orange Coast College was established in 1948 with 500 students enrolled. Over the years, it has grown into one of the nation's largest community colleges, with thousands of students enrolled each semester.
The academic calendar for Orange Coast College follows the semester format, with fall, spring and summer semesters. The fall and spring semesters are 16 weeks in length. OCC's summer session offers six and eight-week classes, which begin in June. A short winter intersession is also sometimes offered.
Colleges and Schools
The academic study areas at Orange Coast College are grouped into divisions, rather than into colleges and schools. The OCC academic divisions are:
- Business & Computing
- Consumer & Health Sciences
- Counseling Services
- Literature & Languages
- Mathematics & Sciences
- Physical Education & Athletics
- Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Visual & Performing Arts
Many student clubs are available at the OCC campus, as well as leadership opportunities through student government. The latest news and events on campus can be found in the "Coast Report," the student newspaper. Intramural and intercollegiate sports are available.
Student services and amenities at OCC include an assessment center, children's center, bookstore, counseling, special services for people with disabilities, student health, computing, a veterans office, student success center, and more.
There is no on-campus housing available, but several dining options are available.
The OCC school colors are blue, white and orange (gold). The school mascot is the pirate.
The Orange Coast College "Pirates" athletics teams compete in several intercollegiate sports, including:
- Cross Country
- Track and Field
- Cross Country
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
OCC has recently completed construction of a state-of-the-art, two-story Fitness Complex that boasts a multipurpose room/gymnasium, training facility for sports medicine, equipment and cardio rooms, fitness studios and classrooms.
Orange Coast College is located near the beautiful beaches and harbors of Orange County in Southern California, and has a large community sailing program.
The Recycling Center located on the OCC campus accepts donated recyclables from the community, and donates profits to scholarships for OCC students.
Many of the facilities on the OCC campus may be rented to community groups for events.
See how Orange Coast College ranks among other California community colleges based on transfer-out rates to other colleges and 4-year universities.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $6,500. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $1,100-$1,300
- Out-of-State: $6,200-$7,488
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $46-$55 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $260-$310 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||45%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||44%||$4,064|
|Receiving Student Loans||3%||$3,764|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 9%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To support students and graduates, Orange Coast College may provide services like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
- Day care
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Many community colleges are not only a source of technical or career training but also a stepping stone for students to transfer-out to a 4-year college, therefore we have included both graduation and transfer rates below and how this school compares against other community colleges in Orange County and California as whole.
Popular Transfer-Out Colleges & Universities
The list of schools below are popular among students transferring out of Orange Coast College. Visit the following school profiles to get admissions information, including admissions requirements and contact information:
- University of California - Irvine
- California State University - Long Beach
- California State University - Dominguez Hills
- California State Polytechnic University - Pomona
- California State University - Los Angeles
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dietetic Technician Program
- Accredited by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (since 1971)
- Dental Assistant Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1963)
- Radiology Technician Program (more info)
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1972)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Orange Coast College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
- Horticulture (A, C)
- Architectural Technology (A, C)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Biology (A)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Commerce (A)
- Business Administration (A, C)
- Bookkeeping (A, C)
- International Business (A, C)
- Sales, Distribution, and Marketing (A, C)
- Hotel and Hospitality Management (A, C)
- Real Estate (A, C)
- Tourism and Travel Services Marketing Operations (A, C)
- Retail Management (A, C)
- General Merchandising, Sales, Related Marketing Operations (C)
- Photographic and Film Technology (C)
- Audio and Video Production (A, C)
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
- Building Construction Technology (A, C)
- Teacher Assistant (C)
- Pre-Engineering (A)
- Refrigeration Technology (A, C)
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) (C)
- Mechanical Drafting and Mechanical Drafting cad (A, C)
English Language and Literature
- English (A)
Family and Consumer Sciences
- Family and Consumer Sciences (A)
- Child Care Provider (A, C)
- Apparel and Textile Marketing Management (A, C)
- Nutrition and Wellness Studies (A, C)
- Foodservice Administration and Management (C)
- Child Care (C)
Foreign Languages and Literature
- Foreign Languages and Literatures (A)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Medical Assistant (A, C)
- Health Services (A)
- Audiology and Speech Pathology (A)
- Respiratory Therapy (A)
- Electrocardiograph Technology (C)
- Radiologic Technology (A)
- Dental Assistant (A, C)
- Clinical Laboratory Technician (A)
- Cardiovascular Technology (A)
- Ultrasound Technician (A)
- Dietetic Technician (A)
- Electroneurodiagnostic, Electroencephalographic Technology (A)
- History (A)
- Biological and Physical Sciences (A)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Arts (A)
Mathematics and Statistics
- Math (A)
Mechanic and Repair Technology
- Aircraft Mechanic (A, C)
- Electrical Equipment Installation and Repair (A, C)
- Computer Installation and Repair Technology (A, C)
- Aircraft Powerplant Technology (C)
Personal and Culinary Services
- Cooking and Related Culinary Arts (A, C)
- Restaurant, Culinary and Catering Management (A, C)
Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Machine Tool Technology (A, C)
- Welding (A, C)
- Psychology (A)
Public Administration and Social Services
- Human Services (A)
Recreation and Fitness Studies
- Physical Fitness Technician (A, C)
- Sports Medicine (A)
Transportation and Materials Moving
- Marine Transportation (C)
- Airline Flight Attendant (A, C)
- Airline Pilot and Flight Crew (C)
- Aviation and Airway Management (A)
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Orange Coast College.
- Coastline Community College in Fountain Valley, CA (3 miles away)
- Golden West College in Huntington Beach, CA (6 miles away)
- Santa Ana College in Santa Ana, CA (6 miles away)
- Irvine Valley College in Irvine, CA (8 miles away)
- Santiago Canyon College in Orange, CA (11 miles away)