South Arkansas Community College (SouthArk)
300 S West Ave, El Dorado, AR
Get Your Degree Online!
- FAFSA School Code: 020746
- Phone: (870) 862-8131
- School Homepage
Financial Aid Office
Request more information about programs at South Arkansas Community College by clicking on the links below:
South Arkansas Community College, located in El Dorado, Arkansas, was formed from the merger of Southern Arkansas University, Eldorado Branch and Oil Belt Technical Institute. The merger was approved in 1992 and the two campuses became SouthArk Campus West and East. The school offers educational and workforce programs for the community, identifying growing trends and needs and adapting its offerings to match.
South Arkansas Community College offers a variety of programs that allow for transfer to a four year institution or preparation for a career. Transfer programs allow students to complete the first two years of a four year education at a low cost, followed by transfer to a four year institution in order to complete the final two years of a bachelor's degree. As a public institution, the school has agreements in place that allow for transfer in the University of Arkansas System with ease. Career programs provide education in a given field that prepares students with the skills and practical knowledge necessary to operate professionally. Graduates of these programs are able to enter the workforce immediately after graduation.
Programs offered include:
Admissions and Financial Aid
As an open admissions institution, SouthArk admits students that meet minimal educational requirements established by the school. Students should submit all relevant transcripts and standardized test scores in conjunction with the admission application in order to become enrolled and pay all fees at the time of registration in order to complete the process.
Financial aid is available in the form of loans, grants and federal work study programs. Students in need of aid should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to determine need eligibility and awards. Students may also approach the financial aid office in order to discuss issues are receive additional help.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $7,500. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range:
- State Residents: $1,800-$2,200
- Out-of-State: $3,800-$4,608
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $76-$91 per unit
- Out-of-State: $160-$190 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||95%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||85%||$5,015|
|Receiving Student Loans||28%||$3,740|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 13%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To support students and graduates, South Arkansas Community College may provide services like:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Student employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges offer a variety of career and transfer options for students. The following table shows the graduation and transfer-out rates for South Arkansas Community College, versus those community colleges in Arkansas, which can be valuable information for determining which school to attend.
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (since 2001)
- Physical Therapy Assistant (P.T.A.) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (since 2000)
- Radiology Technician Program (more info)
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1980)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by South Arkansas Community College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Administrative Assistant (A, C)
- Business, Management, Marketing and Related Support Services (A, C)
- Bookkeeping (C)
- Entrepreneurial Studies
- Information Systems
- Early Childhood Education (A, C)
- Teacher Education, Multiple Levels (A)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (C)
- Nursing Assistant (C)
- Physical Therapist Assistant (A)
- Nursing (A)
- Radiology Technician (A)
- Emergency Medical Technology (A, C)
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) (A)
- Medical Insurance Coding (C)
- Medical Transcription (C)
- Surgical Technologist (A)
- Clinical Laboratory Technician
- Respiratory Therapy
- Interdisciplinary Studies (A)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
- Auto Mechanic (C)
- Computer Installation and Repair Technology (C)
- Industrial Equipment Maintenance Technologies (C)
- Industrial Electronics Technology (C)
- Electrical Equipment Installation and Repair
Personal and Culinary Services
- Cosmetology (C)
- Welding (C)
- Chemical Technology
Security and Protective Services
- Police Science (A, C)
- Law and Justice Administration (C)
Transportation and Materials Moving
Visual and Performing Arts
- Commercial and Advertising Art
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to South Arkansas Community College.
- Southern Arkansas University Tech in Camden, AR (33 miles away)
- Louisiana Delta Community College - Monroe Campus in Monroe, LA (57 miles away)
- University of Arkansas Community College - Hope in Hope, AR (61 miles away)
- Southeast Arkansas College in Pine Bluff, AR (78 miles away)
- College of the Ouachitas in Malvern, AR (79 miles away)