Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College
Dempsey Branch Road, Mount Gay, WV
- FAFSA School Code: 003816
- Phone: (304) 896-7420
- School Homepage
- Phone: (304) 792-7160
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (304) 792-7098
Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College began operations in 1963 as two branches of Marshall University located in the counties of Mingo and Logan in West Virginia. The two campuses became independent in 1971, forming an independent institution of higher learning. Since its inception the school has worked to expand its academic, workforce development and community service offerings. Over the years the service area of Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College has grown, and currently includes portions of Kentucky, with residents able to enroll while paying in state tuition fees.
Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College offers degree and diploma programs to its students. These programs either prepare students to enter the workforce with skills and knowledge relevant to their chosen field of study or have students transferring to four year institutions to continue their post-secondary education. Students interested in developing their career skills will find that upon completion of a technical or vocational program that they are able to perform tasks and duties at the entry level. Transfer to a four year institution is facilitated by 2+2 agreements in place that allows students who complete a specific set of courses and maintain a certain GPA to transfer to one of the partner universities a third year student.
Academic programs include:
Admissions and Financial Aid
Students interested in enrolling at Southern may begin the process by obtaining an admissions application. Students should complete and submit the application along with all relevant transcripts, immunization records, and test scores. The school utilizes an open enrollment policy, and offers spaces in programs on a first come first serve basis. Scholarships, grants loans, and work study programs are available to students in need of financial aid. Students interested in receiving financial aid should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to determine eligibility and awards.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $900. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $2,300-$2,800
- Out-of-State: $4,100-$4,934
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $110-$130 per unit
- Out-of-State: $170-$200 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||82%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||82%||$4,924|
|Receiving Student Loans||4%||$3,420|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 13%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and alumni, Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College may provide services to students like:
- Online course work available
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Counseling assistance
- Student employment
- Employment search assistance
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Students who attend a community college will be able to choose from a variety of programs that will lead to an associate's degree or transfer to a four year institution. The following list shows graduation and transfer-out rates for this school compared to community colleges located in West Virginia, which can be useful for determining which community college to attend.
|Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College||Logan County||West Virginia|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dental Hygienist Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1953)
- Radiology Technician Program (more info)
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1993)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1990)
- See a list of all associate's degree in nursing (ADN) programs in West Virginia
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
- Information Technology (A, C)
- Electrical and Communications Engineering Technology (A, C)
- Mining Technology (A)
- Industrial Production Technologies
- Surveying Technology
Family and Consumer Sciences
- Child Care (A)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Interdisciplinary Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Personal and Culinary Services
- Cosmetology (A)
- Science Technologies
Security and Protective Services
- Criminal Justice (A, C)
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College.
- Hazard Community and Technical College in Hazard, KY (76 miles away)
- Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College in Cumberland, KY (81 miles away)
- West Virginia University at Parkersburg in Parkersburg, WV (101 miles away)
- Mayland Community College in Spruce Pine, NC (133 miles away)
- Rockingham Community College in Wentworth, NC (160 miles away)