West Virginia Northern Community College (WVNCC)
1704 Market St., Wheeling, WV
- FAFSA School Code: 009054
- Phone: (304) 233-5900
- School Homepage
- Phone: (304) 233-5900 x4247
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (304) 233-5900 x4262
- Financial Aid Page
On the 9th of May in 1972, the West Virginia Board of Regents created a community college by merging the Hancock Country Branch and Wheeling Campus of West Liberty State College to create the West Virginia Northern Community College. Simply called The Northern, the WVNCC is located in Wheeling in West Virginia. Today, WVNCC offers two-year associate degree programs as well as technical and certificate programs to six counties in West Virginia. WVNCC also has branches in other places including Weirton and New Martinsville to meet the demands of the community for technical education.
WVNCC has grown into the largest institution in West Virginia. It offers more than 70 programs to students of different age, race and culture. WVNCC offer a wide variety of courses in different disciplines including arts, sciences, communication, development study, criminal justice and community service. The school aims to spread education to local residents thereby not only empowering the labor market but also the immediate community surrounding the campus.
The tuition fee rate of WVNCC differs depending on the type of program as well as residence of the enrollees. In-district students have to pay $100 per credit hour while out-of-district and out-of-state students have to pay $329 per credit hour.
On the other hand, students who wish to proceed to a four-year bachelor’s course in another college or university can take advantage of the transfer program of the school. Currently, WVNCC has formal agreements with Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science, Franciscan University of Steubenville, Marshall University, West Virginia Wesleyan College and West Liberty University.
Find out where West Virginia Northern Community College ranks against other community colleges in West Virginia.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $3,400. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $2,100-$2,500
- Out-of-State: $6,900-$8,237
- Charges per unit:
- State Residents: $87-$100 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $290-$340 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||91%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||87%||$5,794|
|Receiving Student Loans||36%||$4,062|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 17%.
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To support students and graduates, West Virginia Northern Community College may offer services like:
- Distance learning
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Student employment
- Assistance to find work
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges often offer both career training programs and options for students to transfer-out to four year institutions, which is why the table below is so important, it compares WVNCC against community colleges in the entire state of West Virginia.
|WVNCC||Ohio County||West Virginia|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Radiology Technician Program (more info)
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1961)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1977)
- Find all the other nursing programs in West Virginia
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by West Virginia Northern Community College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Commerce (A, C)
- Administrative Assistant (C)
- Entrepreneurial Studies (C)
- Hospitality Administration and Management (A)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Information Technology (A, C)
- Manufacturing Technology
Health and Clinical Professions
- Interdisciplinary Studies (A)
Legal Professions and Studies
- Paralegal (A, C)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
- Heating and Air Conditioning (HVAC) (A)
- Industrial Equipment Maintenance Technologies (C)
- Appliance Installation and Repair Technology (C)
Personal and Culinary Services
- Food Preparation and Professional Cooking (C)
- Culinary Arts (A)
- Personal and Culinary Services
Public Administration and Social Services
- Social Work (A)
- Science Technologies
Security and Protective Services
- Police Science (A)
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to West Virginia Northern Community College.
- Mountwest Community and Technical College in Huntington, WV (146 miles away)
- Blue Ridge Community and Technical College in Martinsburg, WV (152 miles away)
- New River Community and Technical College in Beckley, WV (159 miles away)
- Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College in Mount Gay, WV (168 miles away)
- Richard Bland College of the College of William and Mary in Petersburg, VA (269 miles away)