The Academy of Barbering Arts
7888-1 Van Nuys Boulevard, Van Nuys, CA
- FAFSA School Code: 041093
- Phone: (818) 815-2888
- School Homepage
Interested individuals in and around Van Nuys may obtain a cosmetology education by enrolling at The Academy of Barbering Arts. The Academy of Barbering Arts is accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences, having held that accreditation for the last 2 years. The Academy of Barbering Arts primarily offers education and training in the area of cosmetology, ensuring that students who complete the program will have the skills and education necessary to pursue licensure and long term employment. In addition to cosmetology, this school also provides a hair styling program, which specializes in the art of hair styling.
In 2010-2011 about eighty-six students completed programs at The Academy of Barbering Arts, with students completing the programs with a graduate rate of about 61%. This school reported students had a loan default rate of around 13% in 2009.
The Academy of Barbering Arts provides services for students such as flexible courses for those with irregular schedules, job placement opportunities for graduates looking for work, and cosmetology career counseling to help students. Students should look up state licensing regulations to ensure programs meet established standards. For additional information regarding consumer disclosures, interested students may visit the school's website.
The list below shows all the programs that may be offered at The Academy of Barbering Arts. Actual programs may differ from the list below, to get an official list of programs offered please visit the school's website or by phone at (818) 815-2888.
The barber programs listed below are broken down by the number of contact hours offered.
1,500 Contact Hours
- Estimated tuition and fees: $16,000 per year*
- Cost of required supplies: $1,600*
- Takes about 13 months to complete
400 Contact Hours
- Estimated tuition and fees: $4,000 per year*
- Cost of required supplies: $600*
- Takes about 3 months to complete
Cosmetology (1,600 Hours)
Cosmetology program takes approximately fourteen months to complete. Students who complete this program may be eligible to pursue licensing.
- Estimated tuition cost of this program is $17,000*
- The estimated cost of supplies that may be required is $2,000*
- Student loans borrowed for this program total about $16,000**
- The length of the cosmetology program is usually 14 months
Find out more cosmetology programs through our cosmetology schools profile page, which includes listings and career descriptions.
Personal Grooming Arts (600 Hours)
The personal grooming arts program takes about five months for most students to complete.
- Estimated tuition cost of this program is $7,000*
- Cost of required supplies: $600*
- Takes about 5 months to complete
*The posted costs for tuition, fees and supplies are determined through historical data and may not represent current costs.
**Repayment rates and student loan balances are estimated to provide a comparative context. For more detailed information individuals are asked to contact the school.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
Once scholarships, grants and other forms of aid are calculated, the expected average cost for students at The Academy of Barbering Arts is $8,900. To calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Note: Financial aid is only available for those who qualify, check with the school for details.
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||96%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||90%||$4,108|
|Receiving Student Loans||85%||$4,785|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 13%.
Other Cosmetology Schools Nearby
The list of nearby cosmetology schools below offer beauty and cosmetology programs similar to The Academy of Barbering Arts. Click the links below to get a detailed profile for each school.
- Newberry School of Beauty in Granada Hills, CA (3 miles away)
- Academy for Salon Professionals in Canoga Park, CA (4 miles away)
- Western Beauty Institute in Panorama City, CA (5 miles away)
- Paul Mitchell the School - Sherman Oaks in Sherman Oaks, CA (7 miles away)
- Academy of Esthetics and Cosmetology in San Fernando, CA (7 miles away)
- Aveda Fredric's Institute in Los Angeles, CA (13 miles away)
- Marinello Schools of Beauty - Burbank in Burbank, CA (13 miles away)
- Make - up Designory in Burbank, CA (13 miles away)