MGH Institute of Health Professions
36 1st Avenue, Boston, MA
- FAFSA School Code: 022316
- Phone: (617) 726-3140
- School Homepage
Financial Aid Office
The MGH Institute of Health Professions School of Nursing is a private graduate school founded by Massachusetts General Hospital in 1977 as a successor institution to the diploma nursing school run by the hospital. The original Master of Science in Nursing is joined by the Doctor of Nursing Practice, one of the nation’s first four such accredited programs. Subsequently, an accelerated B.S.N. program and two certificate programs were introduced.
The School of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, and is located in Boston, Mass. As a private school, tuition is far more expensive than the average for nursing schools, and per credit cost is $1,114 for both in-state and out-of-state students for the MS program or higher. The accelerated B.S.N. program tuition averages approximately $59,000 for the entire course. Program credits vary between 91 and 104 for post graduate courses, and 54 for the accelerated B.S.N. programs. The school enrolls over 1,200 students every year. Financial aid is an option for qualifying students, and the Financial Aid Office administers approximately $30 million in loans and $4.5 million in scholarships.
Student life is rich and varied at the Boston campus, with several activities and organizations to choose from. Several clubs have been formed to cater to diverse extracurricular tastes, such as Crossroads (a Christian fellowship group), the Student Emergency Response Team and IHP Musicians. Campus facilities are state-of-the-art and include a library, a recreation center and other resources.
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Find more information about available programs offered by MGH Institute of Health Professions by clicking the request information button to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Physical Therapy (C, D, M)
- Nursing Practice (B)
- Communication Disorders (M)
- Family Practice Nurse (M)
- Critical Care Nursing (C, M)
- Radiologic Technology (C)
- Women's Health Nurse (M)
- Nursing Administration (D)
- Adult Health Nursing (M)
- Communication Disorders Sciences and Services (C)
- Pediatric Nurse (M)
- Psychiatric, Mental Health Nurse (C, M)
- Geriatric Nurse (M)
- Health Professions and Related Clinical Sciences (C)
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Note: Financial aid is only available for those who qualify, check with the school for details.
Tuition & Fees Information
Undergraduate Courses - Tuition Details
- The estimated tuition range is around $31,000-$37,000 per year
- Required fees for full-time students: $1,700
Graduate Courses - Tuition Details
- The estimated tuition range for graduate students is around $36,000-$43,000 per year
- Per unit charges are around $1,100 for part time students
- Required fees for graduate students are around $1,700
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||20%||$12,991|
|Student Loans (Federal)||81%||$11,179|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 3%.
Other Healthcare or Nursing Schools Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to MGH Institute of Health Professions.
- Lawrence Memorial Hospital School of Nursing in Medford, MA (5 miles away)
- Windham Memorial Hospital - Radiologic Technology Program in Willimantic, CT (75 miles away)
- Central Maine Medical Center College of Nursing and Health Professions in Lewiston, ME (127 miles away)
- St Joseph's Medical Center School of Radiography in Yonkers, NY (177 miles away)
- CVPH Medical Center School of Radiologic Technology in Plattsburgh, NY (201 miles away)
IPEDS Survey 2008-2011: Data obtained from the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS). Data may vary depending on school and academic year.