Ashford University (AU)
400 N Bluff Blvd, Clinton, IA
- FAFSA School Code: 001881
- Phone: (563) 242-4023
- School Homepage
Financial Aid Office
Located in Clinton, Iowa, Ashford University's campus is near the Mississippi river and in between Chicago and Des Moines. Ashford University is a coeducational liberal arts university that offers both on-campus and online degree programs. There are more than 25 undergraduate degree programs and three graduate degree programs to choose from at Ashford.
Founded by the Sisters of St. Francis in 1918 as Mount St. Clare College, it became the Franciscan University in 2002, and Ashford University in 2005. Ashford University continues its original mission to provide affordable but innovative education to adult learners.
Ashford University offers a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree in a range of majors. Students may double-major or add a minor or specialization to any of the bachelor's degree programs. Ashford University also offers three Master's Degree programs through its adult accelerated ASPIRE program.
Ashford's traditional on-campus academic calendar follows the semester system. Fall semester runs from late August to early December. Spring semester runs from early January to late April. The University also offers a May Term that runs for 3 weeks. Additionally, there is a 6-week Summer Term that runs from the end of May until the beginning of July.
Ashford University's online programs classes run continuously, rather than in semesters. You can take one course at a time in sequence. As soon as you complete a course, you move to the next course without a break. You can enroll and begin your course sequence in a degree program anytime. Online students can participate at their own pace and on their own schedule, as long as they log in at least two times per week on separate days.
Ashford University students may pursue their bachelor's degree program in one of four colleges:
College of Business and Professional Studies
- Professional Accounting Program
- Business Administration
- Business Information Systems
- Business Leadership
- Computer Graphic Design
- Public Relations and Marketing
- Sports and Recreation Management
College of Education
- Business Education
- Elementary Education (grades K-8)
- Physical Education
College of Health, Human Services and Science
- Health Care Administration
- Natural Science
- Computer Science and Mathematics
- Health Science Administration
College of Liberal Arts
- English and Communication
- Environmental Studies
- Liberal Arts
- Social and Criminal Justice
- Social Science
- Sustainable Enterprise Management
- Visual Art
Ashford University offers an affordable and convenient accelerated degree program for working adults who wish to complete their bachelor's degree or get a master's degree. ASPIRE stands for: Accelerated, Specialized, Personal, Innovative, Rewarding, Education. Students enrolled in the ASPIRE program may attend accelerated 5-week bachelor's courses or 6-week master's courses one night per week at Ashford's campus in Clinton, Iowa. Students may transfer up to 99 approved college credits toward a bachelor's degree in the ASPIRE program.
Degrees offered through the University's ASPIRE program include:
- Bachelor of Arts in Health Care Administration
- Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Social and Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Education
- Master of Arts in Organizational Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
The Flavian Achievement Center assists Ashford University students of all levels in achieving and maintaining academic competency through individual tutoring, group study or participation in competency-based activities. All services at the Center are free and are provided by professional staff and peer tutors. The Center offers make-up testing for students who miss a course test for acceptable reasons.
Ashford University has an active student community, offering opportunities to get involved in leadership groups, athletics and local events. There are many clubs and special interest organizations on campus including:
- Ashford-Clinton Unity (ACU)
- Ashford Junior-Senior Honor Society
- Ashford University Pre Law Society
- Ashford Student Iowa State Education Association (ASISEA)
- AU Life
- Campus Pals
- Concert Choir
- Environmental Club Association
- Fine Arts Club
- Hall Council
- Inspirational Gospel Choir
- Latin American Student Organization (L.A.S.O.)
- Mu Sigma Eta
- Phi Beta Lambda
- Ping Pong Association (P.P.A.)
- Psychology Club
- Scholars Institute
- Student Ambassadors
- Student Government Association
- The Clarion
- Wind Ensemble
- Women of Color
Regardless of where you live or your status as an online or on-campus graduate, Ashford University encourages all students to participate in commencement ceremonies held in May and December at the campus in Clinton, Iowa.
Ashford University has two long-standing honor societies available to high-achieving students. Alpha Sigma Lambda was founded in 1945 and honors adult students who maintain high scholastic standards while also juggling the responsibilities of work and family. Alpha Sigma Lambda is a chapter-based honor society that is open to full- and part-time students.
The Golden Kay International Honor Society was founded in 1977 to recognize academic excellence and achievement among college students across all academic disciplines. It functions locally, regionally and globally.
Ashford University is a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and Midwest Collegiate Conference. The University has more than 17 Saints athletic teams from men's baseball, basketball, golf, soccer, track and cross country or women's basketball, golf, soccer, softball, track, cross country and volleyball.
The University's mascot is Champ, the St. Bernard.
On-campus living at Ashford University provides a friendly atmosphere. The residence halls have study and entertainment lounges as well as recreation areas. They feature single-occupancy rooms or two-room suites with a connecting bathroom.
Ashford University's campus in Clinton, Iowa, offers students a small-town experience and there are many things to enjoy in the area. The campus sits on a bluff with views of the Mississippi River. For students who crave a taste of the city, Chicago is a three-hour drive from Clinton.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give you an idea of the candidates Ashford University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of students who were accepted, as well as any AP college credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to get a better feeling of your chances of getting accepted to AU.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
SAT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2011
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|SAT ® Critical Reading||400 - 518|
|SAT ® Math||482 - 525|
|SAT ® Writing||403 - 505|
|SAT ® Total Score||882 - 1548|
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2011
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||16 - 22|
|ACT ® Math||17 - 22|
|ACT ® Composite Score||18 - 22|
Acceptance Rate Table - Chances of Getting Into AU
We have provided a table below which represents your chances of getting accepted into Ashford University.
|Granted Admissions||5,849 (90%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||2,946 (50%)|
Total enrollment at Ashford University is around 63,000 students, where graduate students make up roughly 9% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition is estimated to be around $10,000 per year for in-state and nonresident students
- Per unit charges are around $430 for part time students
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||93%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||83%||$6,037|
|Receiving Student Loans||87%||$4,647|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 15%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Ashford University may offer student services like those listed below:
- Online course work available
- Counseling assistance
- Work study style employment
The overall graduation rate of AU is close to 22%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||13%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||6%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||1%|
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Business Administration (A, B, M)
- Accounting (B)
- Advertising and Marketing (B)
- Information Systems (B)
- Human Resources (B)
- Business Economics (B)
- Entrepreneurial Studies (B)
- Organizational Leadership
- Organizational Behavior Studies
- International Business
- Real Estate
- Project Management
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Operations Management
- Customer Service Management
- Psychology (B)
- Early Childhood Education (A, B)
- Education (B, M)
- Teacher Education, Multiple Levels (M)
- Elementary Education (B)
- Teaching English or French As a Second Language (B)
- Social and Philosophical Foundations of Education (B)
- Secondary Education (B)
- Educational and Instructional Media Design
- Physical Education
- Business Teacher Education
- Learning Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
- Healthcare Administration (B, M)
- Mental and Social Health Services and Allied Professions (B)
- Holistic Health
- Health and Wellness, General
- Medical Records Administrator
Security and Protective Services
Communications and Journalism
- History (B)
Public Administration and Social Services
- Public Administration (B, M)
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
- Commercial and Advertising Art (B)
- Visual and Performing Arts (B)
Natural Resources and Conservation
- Environmental Studies (B)
- Environmental Science (B)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Biology (B)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Computer Science (B)
- Computer (B)
English Language and Literature
- English (B)
- English Language and Literature, Letters (B)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Arts (B)
Family and Consumer Sciences
- Child Development (B)
- Family Resource Management Studies
- Adult Development and Aging
- Sustainability Studies
- Behavioral Science
- Military Applied Sciences
- Library Science, Librarianship
Foreign Languages and Literature
- Applied Linguistics
Other 4-Year Private Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Ashford University.
- University of Wisconsin - Platteville in Platteville, WI (94 miles away)
- Western Illinois University in Macomb, IL (99 miles away)
- University of Wisconsin - Whitewater in Whitewater, WI (101 miles away)
- Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago, IL (128 miles away)
- University of Wisconsin - Parkside in Kenosha, WI (132 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: