Get more information about Christian Brothers University by clicking links below:
CBU provides a variety of program options for students to assist them in their growth and development. The school is located in Memphis, Tennessee and operated as a private institution. The Roman Catholic affiliation of this school is an important part of the history, education and curriculum that defines the school. Enrollment at CBU is nearly 1,800 yearly.
Areas of study available at Christian Brothers University include:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Physical Sciences
The admissions process will begin with the submission of an application, school records, and standardized test scores, which are then reviewed by the admissions staff. An ACT or SAT exam is required prior to applying, with scores in a range of 960 to 1250 on the SAT and within the range of 21 to 26 for the ACT exam is typical among students admitted to CBU. Roughly 50 percent of all students that applied were accepted at CBU, with 33 percent of those accepted choosing to attend. More information from the admissions office can be found here.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is around $29,000, but may change per year. Students are encouraged to use the school's net price calculator to better estimate their cost of attending this school. Christian Brothers University may offer financial aid for students that qualify as loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The mascot for CBU is the "Buccaneers", and they participate in intercollegiate sports through the oversight and organization of the NCAA. Athletic programs offered may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Golf (NCAA Division II)
- Soccer (NCAA Division II)
Students can visit the school's http://www.cbu.edu to view additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may provide a better idea of the applicants Christian Brothers University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of students that were accepted, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to get a better feeling of your chances of getting into Christian Brothers University.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- High School Academic Ranking are Recommended
- Letters of Recommendation are Recommended
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2012
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||20 - 26|
|ACT ® Math||21 - 29|
|ACT ® Composite Score||21 - 27|
Acceptance Rate Table - Chances of Getting Into CBU
We have provided a table below which represents your chances of getting accepted into CBU.
|Granted Admissions||922 (47%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||254 (28%)|
The total student enrollment at Christian Brothers University is about 1,700, with undergraduate students making up about 78% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition is estimated to range between $29,000-$34,000 for both in-state and out-of-state students
- Part time students pay in the range of $1,000 to $1,200 per unit
- The average estimated cost for on campus housing and meals is listed to be around $7,800
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||100%||$20,618|
|Receiving Student Loans||65%||$6,387|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2011 was around 7%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Christian Brothers University may offer services to students including:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Helping students find work after graduation
Christian Brothers University has an overall graduation rate which is approximately 52%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||36%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||14%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 2008)
Christian Brothers University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Gulf South Conference)
- Basketball (Gulf South Conference)
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Christian Brothers University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Christian Brothers University.
- University of Memphis in Memphis, TN (3 miles away)
- The University of Tennessee - Martin in Martin, TN (105 miles away)
- Delta State University in Cleveland, MS (105 miles away)
- Mississippi Valley State University in Itta Bena, MS (112 miles away)
- University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff in Pine Bluff, AR (128 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
- Visit the main Tennessee colleges & universities profile page
- See all private colleges in Tennessee
- Browse our detailed list of Bible & Christian Colleges in Tennessee
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2008-2013. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Christian Brothers University for official up-to-date information.