Christian Brothers University (CBU)
650 East Parkway South, Memphis, TN
- FAFSA School Code: 003482
- Phone: (901) 321-3000
- School Homepage
- Phone: (901) 321-3205
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (901) 321-3305
- Financial Aid Page
Request more information about programs at Christian Brothers University by clicking on the links below:
CBU provides a variety of program options for students to assist them in their growth and development. The school is located in Memphis, Tennessee and operated as a private institution. The Roman Catholic affiliation of this school is an important part of the history, education and curriculum that defines the school. Enrollment at CBU is nearly 1,800 yearly.
Areas of study available at Christian Brothers University include:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Physical Sciences
The admissions process will begin with the submission of an application, school records, and standardized test scores, which are then reviewed by the admissions staff. An ACT or SAT exam is required prior to applying, with scores in a range of 960 to 1250 on the SAT and within the range of 21 to 26 for the ACT exam is typical among students admitted to CBU. Roughly 50 percent of all students that applied were accepted at CBU, with 33 percent of those accepted choosing to attend. More information from the admissions office can be found here.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is around $29,000, but may change per year. Students are encouraged to use the school's net price calculator to better estimate their cost of attending this school. Christian Brothers University may offer financial aid for students that qualify as loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The mascot for CBU is the "Buccaneers", and they participate in intercollegiate sports through the oversight and organization of the NCAA. Athletic programs offered may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Golf (NCAA Division II)
- Soccer (NCAA Division II)
Students can visit the school's http://www.cbu.edu to view additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may provide a better idea of the applicants Christian Brothers University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of students that were accepted, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to get a better feeling of your chances of getting into Christian Brothers University.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- High School Academic Ranking are Recommended
- Letters of Recommendation are Recommended
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2010
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||22 - 27|
|ACT ® Math||20 - 26|
|ACT ® Composite Score||21 - 26|
Acceptance Rate Table - Chances of Getting Into CBU
We have provided a table below which represents your chances of getting accepted into CBU.
|Granted Admissions||888 (48%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||289 (33%)|
The total student enrollment at Christian Brothers University is about 1,800, with undergraduate students making up about 74% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- The estimated tuition range is around $27,000-$32,000 per year
- Per unit charges are around $1,100 for part time students
- The average estimated cost for on campus housing and meals is listed to be around $7,600
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||100%||$20,618|
|Receiving Student Loans||65%||$6,387|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 8%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Christian Brothers University may offer services to students including:
- Online classes
- Night and weekend classes available
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Helping students find work after graduation
Christian Brothers University has an overall graduation rate which is approximately 52%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||36%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||14%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 2008)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Christian Brothers University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Business Administration (B, M)
- Accounting (B)
- Advertising and Marketing (B)
- Finance (B)
- Corporate Communications (B)
- Commerce (B)
- International Business (B)
- Human Resources (B)
- Psychology (B)
- Interdisciplinary Studies (M)
- History (B)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
English Language and Literature
- English (B)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Philosophy and Religious Studies (B)
- Religious Studies (M)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Information Technology (B)
- Computer (B)
Visual and Performing Arts
- Fine Studio Arts (B)
Mathematics and Statistics
- Math (B)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Nursing Practice
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
- Ethnic, Cultural Minority and Gender Studies
Other 4-Year Private Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Christian Brothers University.
- Delta State University in Cleveland, MS (105 miles away)
- University of North Alabama in Florence, AL (132 miles away)
- Mississippi University for Women in Columbus, MS (144 miles away)
- Athens State University in Athens, AL (172 miles away)
- Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, TN (176 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
- Visit the main Tennessee colleges & universities profile page
- See all private colleges in Tennessee
- Browse our detailed list of Bible & Christian Colleges in Tennessee
- Browse through a list of colleges located in Memphis