Cumberland University (CU)
1 Cumberland Square, Lebanon, TN
- FAFSA School Code: 003485
- Phone: (615) 444-2562
- School Homepage
- Phone: (615) 444-2562 x1224
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (615) 444-2562 x1254
- Financial Aid Page
Cumberland University provides a variety of program options for students to guide them in their growth and development. The school is located in Lebanon, TN and operated as a private institution. CU has a yearly student enrollment of around a thousand.
Areas of study offered at Cumberland University include:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Public Administration And Social Services
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Security And Protective Services
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
The admissions process will include the submission of an application, transcripts, records, and standardized test scores, which are then evaluated by the admissions staff. Most students admitted to CU have an SAT score within the range of 880 - 1130, or an ACT composite score between 20 - 24. 49% of students that apply are accepted to CU, of which 57 percent choose to enroll. More information from the admissions office can be found here.
Undergraduate tuition is approximately $21,000 annually, though it may change based on any number of circumstances. Students should check the school's net price calculator to see the personalize cost of attendance. This school may help with costs by offering financial aid for students who are eligible as grants and loans.
The Cumberland University "Bulldogs" have a number of intercollegiate athletic programs through participation in the NAIA. Available athletic programs offered:
- Baseball (NAIA Division I)
- Basketball (NAIA Division I)
- Football (NAIA Division I)
- Golf (NAIA Division I)
Students can take a look at the school's http://www.cumberland.edu to view additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may provide a better idea of the applicants CU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of students that were accepted, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to get a better idea of your chances of getting accepted to Cumberland University.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- High School Academic Ranking are Recommended
- Letters of Recommendation are Recommended
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2011
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||19 - 25|
|ACT ® Math||18 - 24|
|ACT ® Composite Score||20 - 24|
Acceptance Rate Table - Chances of Getting Into CU
We have provided a table below which represents your chance for admission at CU.
|Granted Admissions||338 (49%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||191 (57%)|
Total enrollment at Cumberland University is around 1,400 students. The student body is made up of 81% undergraduate students and 19% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- The estimated tuition range is around $18,000-$22,000 per year
- Part time students pay in the range of $760 to $910 per unit
- The estimated cost for room and board is around $7,900, which includes nineteen meals provided per week
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||100%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||99%||$14,913|
|Receiving Student Loans||59%||$5,332|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 9%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Cumberland University may offer services including:
- Online classes
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Assistance to find work
The overall graduation rate of Cumberland University is approximately 34%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||20%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||13%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||0.9%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 2011)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1995)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Cumberland University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Educational Leadership and Administration (M)
- Physical Education (B)
- Elementary Education (B)
- Special Education (B)
- Music Teacher Education (B)
- Biology Teacher Education (B)
- History Teacher Education (B)
- Mathematics Teacher Education
- English and Language Arts Teacher Education
- Art Teacher Education
- Geography Teacher Education
Public Administration and Social Services
Business and Marketing Studies
Security and Protective Services
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Biology (B)
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Arts (A, B)
- Psychology (B)
Visual and Performing Arts
- Fine Studio Arts (B)
- Music Performance (B)
- Art Studies
Mathematics and Statistics
- Math (B)
- History (B)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Computer (B)
English Language and Literature
Other 4-Year Private Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Cumberland University.
- Tennessee State University in Nashville, TN (30 miles away)
- Tennessee Technological University in Cookeville, TN (44 miles away)
- Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, TN (63 miles away)
- The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga in Chattanooga, TN (98 miles away)
- Alabama A&M University in Normal, AL (99 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: