Hawaii Pacific University is a nonprofit private institution located in Honolulu, Hawaii and provides a large number of educational opportunities for students. About eight thousand students enroll at HPU per year.
Areas of study available at HPU include:
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Security And Protective Services
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
To be considered for admissions, applicants may be required to complete an application, provide letters of recommendations, and submit school transcripts, which are then studied by admissions staff. An ACT or SAT exam is required prior to applying, with scores within the range of 1280 - 1638 for the SAT exam and in a range of 18 - 24 for the ACT exam is typical among students admitted to this school. This school has an admissions rate of around 70 percent of which only 19 percent chose to attend. More information on admissions can be found here.
The cost of tuition is nearly $18,000, but may change each year. Students are encouraged to visit the school's price of attendance calculator to better understand their cost of attending this school. Some students at HPU may be eligible for financial aid, which is generally provided as grants or student loans.
The Hawaii Pacific University "Sea Warriors" compete in a number of intercollegiate sports through participation in the NCAA. Athletic programs available may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Golf (NCAA Division II)
Students who wish to get more about Hawaii Pacific University can visit their website at http://www.hpu.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give you an idea of the applicants HPU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of students who were accepted, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to see your chances of getting accepted to Hawaii Pacific University.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- High School Academic Ranking are Recommended
- Letters of Recommendation are Recommended
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Recommended
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Recommended
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2011
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||18 - 24|
|ACT ® Math||18 - 25|
|ACT ® Composite Score||19 - 25|
Acceptance Rate Table - Chances of Getting Into HPU
The chances for admission at HPU can be seen in the table below.
|Granted Admissions||2,697 (64%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||591 (22%)|
Total enrollment at Hawaii Pacific University is around 7,500 students, where graduate students make up roughly 17% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition is estimated to be around $20,000 per year for in-state and nonresident students
- The estimated tuition for part time students is around $620 to $740 per unit
- The average estimated cost for on campus housing and meals is listed to be around $16,000, the amount includes fourteen meals per week
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||65%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||65%||$7,587|
|Receiving Student Loans||51%||$6,706|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2011 was around 4%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Hawaii Pacific University may offer student services including:
- Online classes
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Counseling assistance
- Student employment
- Employment search assistance
HPU has an overall graduation rate which is close to 39%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||24%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||10%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||4%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program
- * Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1992)
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program
- * Accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (since 2012)
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program
- * Accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 2000)
Hawaii Pacific University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Division Ii Independents)
- Basketball (Division Ii Independents)
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Hawaii Pacific University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Hawaii Pacific University.
- University of Hawaii at Manoa in Honolulu, HI (3 miles away)
- University of Hawaii - West Oahu in Pearl City, HI (10 miles away)
- University of Hawaii at Hilo in Hilo, HI (212 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: