Get more information about Nova Southeastern University by clicking links below:
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) is a private research university that includes graduate and professional schools on its campus in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. NSU offers over 40 undergraduate degree programs, and many more graduate degree programs at the master's and doctoral levels.
NSU is known for its excellent faculty who are still actively engaged in their professional careers in the field as well as their teaching careers. NSU is also notable for the fact that more African American and Hispanic students earn their doctoral degrees there than any other university in the nation.
NSU offers excellent facilities and cutting-edge technology, and a beautiful, 300-acre campus setting. It is nationally recognized for its graduate and professional training programs, as well as for its distance learning programs, with field-based programs located in Florida and 23 states, as well as in a number of international sites.
Nova Southeastern University was founded in 1964 as "Nova University." It began as a very small school focusing primarily on the physical and social sciences. In 1994, Nova University merged with Southeastern University of Health Sciences and became Nova Southeastern University. The school has grown to become the nation's seventh largest independent university, and its programs now include law, education, business computer science, oceanography, medicine, pharmacy, optometry, and more.
Nova Southeastern University's academic calendar follows the semester format, with fall and winter semesters. Summer classes are available.
Colleges, Schools and Centers
- Center for Psychological Studies
- College of Allied Health and Nursing
- College of Dental Medicine
- College of Medical Sciences
- College of Optometry
- College of Osteopathic Medicine
- College of Pharmacy
- Criminal Justice Institute
- Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences
- Fischler School of Education and Human Services
- Graduate School of Computer and Information Sciences
- Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- H. Wayne Huizenga School of Business and Entrepreneurship
- Human Services Unit
- Mailman Segal Center for Human Development
- Oceanographic Center
- Shepard Broad Law Center
- University School
In addition to its colleges, schools and centers, NSU has several research and professional education institutes that include:
- Brief Therapy Institute
- Criminal Justice Institute
- The Eye Institute
- Guy Harvey Research Institute
- Hudson Institute of Entrepreneurship and Executive Education
- Huizenga Sales Institute
- International Institute for Franchise Education
- The Language Institute
- Lifelong Learning Institute
- National Coral Reef Institute
- Rumbaugh-Goodwin Institute for Cancer Research
More than 70 student clubs and organizations are available on the NSU campus. There is also a strong student government program, several active fraternities and sororities, and intramural sports, among other activities. More information about how to get involved in a campus program is available at the NSU Office of Student Leadership and Civic Engagement.
In addition, the Campus Recreation Department offers many on-campus fitness and wellness classes such as spinning and Pilates, among others.
Student housing is available on campus, all rooms with private bathrooms and wireless Internet service, and there are many on-campus dining services available as well.
The "Sharks" athletic teams of Nova Southeaster University compete in 17 intercollegiate sports, with 10 women's and 7 men's teams that include:
- Cross Country
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field
- Cross Country
- Swimming & Diving
- Track and Field
In addition to its main, Fort Lauderdale-Davie Campus in Florida, NSU has satellite campuses at the following locations:
- East Campus, Fort Lauderdale, FL (six miles from the main campus)
- Oceanographic Center Campus, Dania Beach, FL
- North Miami Beach Campus, North Miami Beach, FL
In addition to its satellite campuses, NSU has several "Student Education Centers" that allow students to study through a combination of online learning, video conferencing and onsite access to NSU staff and learning resources. NSU has Student Education Centers in the following locations:
- Nassau, Bahamas
- Fort Myers, FL
- Jacksonville, FL
- Miami, FL
- Miramar, FL
- Orlando, FL
- Palm Beach, FL
- Tampa, FL
South Florida has a very warm, temperate climate that makes it easy to enjoy outdoor recreation. The areas around NSU offer opportunities to enjoy hiking, biking fishing, boating, windsurfing and concerts and festivals. There are beaches, or the Florida Everglades, within 15-30 minutes of the main campus. Many sports arenas, restaurants, shopping spots and entertainment venues are available in the area.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may provide a better idea of the students Nova Southeastern University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Nova Southeastern University is about 32,000, with undergraduate students making up about 17% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition is estimated to range between $27,000-$32,000 for both in-state and out-of-state students
- Part time students pay in the range of $900 to $1,100 per unit
- May offer prepaid tuition rates, allowing tuition to be purchased at current rates for future enrollment.
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||95%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||94%||$13,708|
|Receiving Student Loans||53%||$6,987|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Nova Southeastern University may offer services like:
- Online course work available
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Student employment
Nova Southeastern University has an overall graduation rate which is approximately 40%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||25%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||12%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||3%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: Nova Southeastern University
- Clinical Audiology (Au.D.) Program
- Clinical Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Clinical Psychology (Psy.D.) Program
- Endodontics Program
- Law Program (more info)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program (more info)
- Occupational Therapy (OT) Program (more info)
- Optometry (O.D.) Program (more info)
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Program
- Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics Program
- Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) Program
- Pediatric Dentistry Program
- Periodontics Program
- Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program (more info)
- Prosthodontics Program
- Graduate Level Public Health (Outside School of Public Health) Program (more info)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
Campus: North Miami Beach Campus
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- * Accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (since 1990)
Nova Southeastern University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Sunshine State Conference)
- Basketball (Sunshine State Conference)
- Track and Field (Sunshine State Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Nova Southeastern University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Nova Southeastern University.
- Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, FL (21 miles away)
- Florida International University in Miami, FL (24 miles away)
- Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers, FL (106 miles away)
- University of South Florida Sarasota - Manatee in Sarasota, FL (170 miles away)
- University of Central Florida in Orlando, FL (177 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below:
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2010-2016. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact Nova Southeastern University for official up-to-date information.