1235 15th St, Augusta, GA
- FAFSA School Code: 001587
- Phone: (706) 821-8200
- School Homepage
- Phone: (706) 821-8320
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (706) 821-8262
- Financial Aid Page
Paine College is a nonprofit private historically black institution located in Augusta, GA. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were founded after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. The United Methodist affiliation at the school is an important part of the history, education and mission that defines the school. The school's small size in terms of enrollment, around 930 students, offers students a more hands on education due to the number of students per class and easier access to faculty.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs Paine College offers:
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Communications And Journalism
Students applying for admission are usually asked to submit an application, transcripts, standardized test scores and any requested application essays, which will then be reviewed by admissions staff. Either the SAT or ACT exam can be taken to apply to this school. Scores within the range of 14 to 18 on the ACT or 1020 to 1310 on the SAT are required to increase the chance of admission. This school has an admissions rate of 69 percent of which only 14 percent chose to enroll. More information from the admissions office can be found at paine.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is approximately $14,000 for the year. Tuition prices may change for any number of reasons, and as such students should visit the school's tuition calculator to identify their cost of attendance. The price of on-campus housing is approximately $3,000 annually. Some students at Paine College may be eligible for financial aid, which is typically provided in the form of loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The mascot for Paine College is the "Lions", and they participate in intercollegiate athletic programs through the NCAA. Available athletic programs offered may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Golf (NCAA Division II)
- Softball (NCAA Division II)
- Track and Field, Outdoor (NCAA Division II)
To see a full list of areas of study, programs, enrollment information, financial aid details, and more, please visit the school's website at http://www.paine.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the students Paine College accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of accepted students, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to get a better idea of your chances of getting accepted to Paine College.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- High School Academic Ranking are Recommended
- Letters of Recommendation are Required
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Recommended
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
SAT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2011
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|SAT ® Critical Reading||340 - 430|
|SAT ® Math||330 - 450|
|SAT ® Writing||350 - 430|
|SAT ® Total Score||670 - 1310|
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2011
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||12 - 18|
|ACT ® Math||15 - 17|
|ACT ® Composite Score||14 - 18|
Acceptance Rate Table
We have provided a table below which represents your chances of getting into Paine College.
|Granted Admissions||1,335 (69%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||192 (14%)|
Paine College has a total student population of about 930.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition is estimated to range between $12,000-$14,000 for both in-state and out-of-state students
- Part time students pay in the range of $480 to $580 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||99%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||93%||$6,604|
|Receiving Student Loans||94%||$6,540|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 12%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Paine College may offer services including:
- Online classes
- Counseling assistance
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assistance to find work
Paine College has an overall graduation rate which is approximately 27%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||10%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||11%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||6%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 2006)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Paine College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Biology (B)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Business Administration (B)
- Accounting (B)
- Advertising and Marketing (B)
- Information Systems (B)
- International Business
Communications and Journalism
- Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communication (B)
- Broadcast Journalism (B)
- Journalism (B)
English Language and Literature
- English (B)
Mathematics and Statistics
- Math (B)
Visual and Performing Arts
- Drama (B)
- Music Performance (B)
- History (B)
- Mathematics and Computer Science (B)
- Elementary Education (B)
- Middle School Education (B)
- English and Language Arts Teacher Education (B)
- History Teacher Education
- Biology Teacher Education
- Mathematics Teacher Education
- Chemistry (B)
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Natural Resources and Conservation
Other 4-Year Private Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Paine College.
- Georgia Regents University in Augusta, GA (2 miles away)
- University of South Carolina - Aiken in Aiken, SC (15 miles away)
- Lander University in Greenwood, SC (51 miles away)
- Georgia College & State University in Milledgeville, GA (76 miles away)
- University of South Carolina - Beaufort in Bluffton, SC (102 miles away)
Also, check out our college lists below, which can help students compare schools to one another: