Get more information about University of New Haven by clicking links below:
The University of New Haven was founded in 1920 at New Haven, Connecticut and was originally located on Yale's campus. In 1960 the school moved to it West Haven location. UNH is a private university, and is considered a top tier liberal arts college. The school services over 6,400 undergraduates and graduates, and provides hands on learning opportunities for more than 75 majors.
The University of New Haven has over 100 undergraduate, and 25 graduate programs that it offers. The school provides students with a high quality education and strong learning environment to ensure that students are given every opportunity to succeed.
Programs offered include:
Admissions and Financial Aid
Requirements for admissions to the University of New Haven will vary based on various factors. Interested students should contact an admissions officer and discuss what is necessary to attend UNH. Students interested in financial aid should contact UNH to discuss tuition, scholarship, grant and loan options available and how to determine eligibility.
The New Haven Chargers compete in a variety of sports as a NCAA Division II school.
- Cross Country
- Track & Field
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give you an idea of the candidates University of New Haven accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of accepted students, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to get a better feeling of your chances of getting into University of New Haven.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- High School Academic Ranking are Recommended
- Letters of Recommendation are Required
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
SAT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2013
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|SAT ® Critical Reading||460 - 550|
|SAT ® Math||470 - 580|
|SAT ® Writing||460 - 560|
|SAT ® Total Score||1390 - 1690|
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2013
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||19 - 25|
|ACT ® Math||19 - 25|
|ACT ® Composite Score||20 - 25|
Acceptance Rate Table - Chances of Getting Into UNH
We have provided a table below which represents your chance for admission at UNH.
|Granted Admissions||7,567 (74%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||1,174 (16%)|
Total enrollment at University of New Haven is around 6,800 students. The student body is made up of 74% undergraduate students and 26% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- The estimated tuition range is around $33,000-$40,000 per year
- Per unit charges are around $1,200 for part time students
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||97%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||97%||$17,191|
|Receiving Student Loans||82%||$10,322|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2012 was around 2.6%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, University of New Haven may offer services including:
- Online course work available
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Assistance to find work
The overall graduation rate of University of New Haven is approximately 54%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||42%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||8%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||2%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dental Hygienist Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1994)
- Dietetics Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (since 2007)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 2012)
University of New Haven is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Northeast 10 Conference)
- Basketball (Northeast 10 Conference)
- Track and Field (Northeast 10 Conference)
- Football (Northeast 10 Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by University of New Haven by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Private Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to University of New Haven.
- Western Connecticut State University in Danbury, CT (26 miles away)
- Farmingdale State College in Farmingdale, NY (44 miles away)
- United States Coast Guard Academy in New London, CT (45 miles away)
- SUNY College at Old Westbury in Old Westbury, NY (48 miles away)
- Eastern Connecticut State University in Willimantic, CT (48 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities:
Information displayed on this page has been obtained from Institution, State, and Federal data sources, including the US Dept. of Education's Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Survey 2008-2013. Information should be solely used for informational purposes only and may not be accurate for the current year. Contact University of New Haven for official up-to-date information.