Get more information about Elizabeth City State University by clicking links below:
ECSU is a public historically black institution located in Elizabeth City, NC. A majority of historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were established after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. Elizabeth City State University has a yearly student enrollment of about three thousand.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs ECSU offers:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Security And Protective Services
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Public Administration And Social Services
Students applying for admission are usually required to submit an application, transcripts, test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by the admissions office. Very common scores among students accepted to Elizabeth City State University are in the range of 15 - 18 on the ACT, or 1100 - 1350 for the SAT exam. An estimated 70 percent of all applicant were accepted at this school, with 35 percent of those admitted choosing to enroll. More information from the admissions office can be found at ecsu.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition varies for in-state and nonresidents. In-state residents pay around $4,200, while out-of-state residents pay $15,000 per year. School housing is available on-campus for students. The yearly cost of housing is approximately $5,300. Financial aid may be offered to students that meet the required requirements by way of scholarships, grants, and loans.
The mascot for Elizabeth City State University is the "Vikings", and they participate in intercollegiate athletic programs through the oversight and organization of the NCAA. Available sports offered:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
- Golf (NCAA Division II)
Students who wish to learn more about Elizabeth City State University may visit their website at http://www.ecsu.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give you an idea of the students ECSU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Elizabeth City State University is about 1,900. The student body is made up of 97% undergraduate students and 3% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $900. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $30 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- In-State Tuition: $2,800-$3,300
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $14,000-$17,340
- Charges per unit:
- In-State: $560-$670 per unit
- Out-of-State: $2,000-$2,400 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||97%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||94%||$8,645|
|Receiving Student Loans||72%||$4,431|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Elizabeth City State University may offer services to students including:
- Distance learning
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assistance to find work
Elizabeth City State University has an overall graduation rate which is approximately 42%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||21%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||16%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||4%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 2007)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1992)
ECSU is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Basketball (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Football (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Elizabeth City State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Transportation and Materials Moving
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Elizabeth City State University.
- Norfolk State University in Norfolk, VA (40 miles away)
- Christopher Newport University in Newport News, VA (57 miles away)
- College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA (74 miles away)
- Virginia State University in Petersburg, VA (94 miles away)
- St Mary's College of Maryland in St. Mary's City, MD (133 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: