Governors State University (GSU)
1 University Pky, University Park, IL
- FAFSA School Code: 009145
- Phone: (708) 534-5000
- School Homepage
- Phone: (708) 534-4490
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (708) 534-4480
- Financial Aid Page
GSU is a public institution located in University Park, IL and provides a large number of educational opportunities for students. Approximately five thousand students are enrolled yearly at GSU.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Security And Protective Services
To be considered for admissions, you may be asked to fill out an application, provide letters of recommendations, and submit school records, which are then evaluated by the admissions staff. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
Tuition & fees at this school are different for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state tuition costs approximately $9,800 per year, while out-of-state tuition costing $18,000 annually. Some students at GSU may be eligible for financial aid, which is generally offered as grants or student loans.
Students who wish to learn more about GSU may check out their website at http://www.govst.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give you an idea of the students GSU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Life Experience Credits
The total student enrollment at Governors State University is about 5,700, where graduate students make up roughly 47% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- In-State Tuition: $7,300-$8,700
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $15,000-$17,500
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $240-$290 per unit
- Out-of-State: $490-$580 per unit
- Some programs may have a frozen tuition rate, which means the tuition will stay the same for up to five years.
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||77%||$4,876|
|Student Loans (Federal)||62%||$3,481|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 3%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Governors State University may provide student services like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Counseling assistance
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assisting students to find work
- Child care
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Occupational Therapy (OT) Program (more info)
- Physical Therapy (P.T.) Program (more info)
- Speech-Language Pathology Program (more info)
- Health Services Administration Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program (more info)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Governors State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Arts (B)
- Educational Leadership and Administration (M)
- Elementary Education (B)
- Education, Teaching of Individuals with Multiple Disabilities (M)
- Curriculum and Instruction (M)
- Early Childhood Education (B, M)
- Reading Teacher Education (M)
- Teacher Education, Multiple Levels (C)
- Biology Teacher Education (C)
- Chemistry Teacher Education (C)
- English and Language Arts Teacher Education
- Mathematics Teacher Education
Business and Marketing Studies
Security and Protective Services
- Criminal Justice (B, M)
Public Administration and Social Services
Health and Clinical Professions
- Analytical Chemistry (M)
Communications and Journalism
- Communications (B)
- Media Studies (M)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Computer Science (B, M)
- Political Science (M)
- Social Sciences (B)
Mathematics and Statistics
- Math (B)
English Language and Literature
- English (B, M)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Biology (B)
- Ecology (M)
Visual and Performing Arts
- Art Studies (B, M)
- Film Studies (M)
- Interdisciplinary Studies
Other 4-Year Public Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Governors State University.
- Chicago State University in Chicago, IL (19 miles away)
- Indiana University - Northwest in Gary, IN (20 miles away)
- Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago, IL (37 miles away)
- Purdue University - North Central Campus in Westville, IN (42 miles away)
- Northern Illinois University in Dekalb, IL (65 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: