Get more information about Governors State University by clicking links below:
GSU is a public institution located in University Park, IL and provides a large number of educational opportunities for students. Approximately five thousand students are enrolled yearly at GSU.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Security And Protective Services
To be considered for admissions, you may be asked to fill out an application, provide letters of recommendations, and submit school records, which are then evaluated by the admissions staff. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
Tuition & fees at this school are different for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state tuition costs approximately $9,800 per year, while out-of-state tuition costing $18,000 annually. Some students at GSU may be eligible for financial aid, which is generally offered as grants or student loans.
Students who wish to learn more about GSU may check out their website at http://www.govst.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give you an idea of the students GSU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Life Experience Credits
The total student enrollment at Governors State University is about 5,800, where graduate students make up roughly 38% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- In-State Tuition: $7,700-$9,200
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $15,000-$18,360
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $260-$310 per unit
- Out-of-State: $510-$610 per unit
- Some programs may have a frozen tuition rate, which means the tuition will stay the same for up to five years.
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||77%||$4,876|
|Student Loans (Federal)||62%||$3,481|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2012 was around 4.0%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Governors State University may provide student services like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Counseling assistance
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assisting students to find work
- Child care
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Health Services Administration Program
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program (more info)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
- Occupational Therapy (OT) Program (more info)
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Governors State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Governors State University.
- Chicago State University in Chicago, IL (19 miles away)
- Indiana University - Northwest in Gary, IN (20 miles away)
- Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago, IL (37 miles away)
- Purdue University - North Central Campus in Westville, IN (42 miles away)
- Indiana University - South Bend in South Bend, IN (77 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: