Get more information about Grambling State University by clicking links below:
Grambling State University is a public historically black institution located in Grambling, LA. Many historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were established after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. Nearly 5,000 students enroll at Grambling State University yearly.
Areas of study offered at Grambling State University include but are not limited to:
- Security And Protective Services
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
Students applying for admission are most often required to submit an application, transcripts, records, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by the admissions office. Students may submit either the SAT or ACT scores to be considered for admissions to Grambling State University. A score within the range of 760 - 930 on the SAT, or 16 - 20 for the ACT is usually submitted among admitted students. 55% of students that apply are admitted to GSU, of which 38 percent choose to enroll. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is close to $5,400 per year. Tuition prices may change for a variety of reasons, and that is why students should visit the school's price of attendance calculator to identify their costs. On-campus housing is available for students, which costs around $6,200 annually. Financial aid may be provided to students that meet the required requirements in the form of loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The mascot for Grambling State University is the "Tigers", and they participate in intercollegiate athletic programs through oversight by the NCAA. Available sports offered:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Soccer (NCAA Division I-AA)
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may provide a better idea of the applicants Grambling State University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at Grambling State University is about 4,500, where graduate students make up roughly 14% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $17,100. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $20 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition is estimated to range between $5,300-$6,300 for both in-state and out-of-state students
- Per unit charges are around $240 for part time students
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||98%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||94%||$7,317|
|Receiving Student Loans||91%||$7,693|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Grambling State University may offer services like:
- Distance learning
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Assistance to find work
The overall graduation rate of Grambling State University is approximately 32%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||7%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||16%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||7%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Music Program (more info)
- Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN) Program (more info)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
- Theatre Program
Grambling State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Football (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Grambling State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Grambling State University.
- Louisiana Tech University in Ruston, LA (3 miles away)
- University of Louisiana at Monroe in Monroe, LA (37 miles away)
- Northwestern State University of Louisiana in Natchitoches, LA (58 miles away)
- Louisiana State University - Shreveport in Shreveport, LA (58 miles away)
- Southern Arkansas University Main Campus in Magnolia, AR (61 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: