Get more information about Humboldt State University by clicking links below:
Humboldt State University, a public institution, offers a variety of educational opportunities, allowing students to choose which major is right for them. Located in Arcata, California, it resides in a rural setting for students to study in. HSU has a yearly student enrollment of around seven thousand.
Students may select from a few areas of study, including:
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Visual And Performing Arts
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Health And Clinical Professions
Students applying for admission are required to submit an application, school records, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by admissions officials. Either the SAT or ACT exam can be taken in order to be able to apply to Humboldt State University. Scores within the range of 19 to 25 on the ACT or 910 to 1150 on the SAT are needed to increase your chances for acceptance. HSU has an admissions rate of around 83% of which only 17% decided to enroll. More information from the admissions office can be found at humboldt.edu.
The cost of tuition is different for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state residents pay close to $7,800 and out-of-state residents pay $20,000 for the year. The cost of on-campus housing is about $5,700 per year. Students enrolled at HSU may be eligible for aid which is typically loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The HSU Lumberjacks participate in a number of athletic programs, with competitions managed and overseen by the NCAA. Sports available may include but not limited to:
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Football (NCAA Division II)
- Rowing (NCAA Division II)
Students who would like to view more about HSU may check out their website at http://www.humboldt.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give you an idea of the candidates HSU accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of accepted students, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to see your chances of getting into HSU.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2010
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||17 - 24|
|ACT ® Math||18 - 24|
|ACT ® Composite Score||18 - 24|
Acceptance Rate Table - Chances of Getting Into HSU
The table below lists the chances of getting into Humboldt State University.
|Granted Admissions||8,000 (80%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||1,237 (15%)|
Total enrollment at Humboldt State University is around 8,100 students. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 6% enrolling as graduate students and 94% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $11,100. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $55 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- State Residents: $5,500-$6,600
- Out-of-State: $17,000-$20,560
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||69%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||54%||$9,429|
|Receiving Student Loans||56%||$5,085|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2011 was around 12%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Humboldt State University may provide services like:
- Online classes
- Remedial instructional courses
- Counseling assistance
- Student employment
- Assisting students to find work
- Child care
Humboldt State University has an overall graduation rate which is around 40%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||12%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||19%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||9%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (since 1999)
- Art and Design Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, Commission on Accreditation (since 1978)
- Music Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation, Commission on Community/Junior College Accreditation (since 1979)
HSU is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (California Collegiate Athletic Assoc)
- Football (Great Northwest Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field, Outdoor
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Humboldt State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Humboldt State University.
- Southern Oregon University in Ashland, OR (116 miles away)
- California State University - Chico in Chico, CA (142 miles away)
- Sonoma State University in Rohnert Park, CA (191 miles away)
- California State University - Sacramento in Sacramento, CA (213 miles away)
- San Francisco State University in San Francisco, CA (234 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: