Metropolitan State College of Denver (Metro State)
Speer Blvd and Colfax Ave, Denver, CO
College Video Tour
- FAFSA School Code: 001360
- Phone: (303) 556-3058
- School Homepage
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (303) 573-2660
- Financial Aid Page
Metropolitan State College of Denver (Metro State) is a large and comprehensive public college located in downtown Denver, Colorado. Metro State offers bachelor's and master's degrees, with offers 55 majors at the undergraduate level, with 90 minors to choose from. It offers master's degrees in professional accountancy, teacher education and social work. Metro State's top ten majors are management, biology, criminal justice/criminology, psychology, art, accounting, English, marketing, human performance and sport, and history.
Many programs at Metro State are developing and expanding, including its Center for Urban Education, which trains teachers for middle and high schools. Metro State's Center for Visual Art, which is located off campus in the Santa Fe Arts District, features award-winning artists and serves as an interactive learning laboratory for Metro State Students. Metro State is constructing a Hotel and Hospitality Learning Center (HLC) and Student Success Building. The college's Aviation and Aerospace Program is positioned to make Colorado a leader in science, technology, engineering and mathematics education.
Metropolitan State College of Denver was founded in 1965.
The academic calendar for Metropolitan State College of Denver follows the semester format, with fall and spring semesters.
Colleges and Schools
The three schools of Metro State are:
- School of Business
- School of Letters, Arts and Sciences
- School of Professional Studies
Metro State offers a special program for incoming freshmen called the "First Year Success Program" - a collaboration between Student Services and Academic Affairs. This program helps new students transition to life on campus. It groups students together according to similar backgrounds and goals, and provides targeted programs that include shared schedules, linked courses, and supplemental instruction and peer study sessions.
Metro State also has more than 150 student clubs and organizations available for involvement on campus. These clubs cover a wide range of academic, social, political, cultural and other interests.
Local chapters of fraternities and sororities have existed at Metro State for roughly six years, and offer many opportunities for service, leadership and involvement.
The Metro State school colors are blue, white and red. The school mascot is the roadrunner, and the college athletic teams are nicknamed the "Roadrunners."
The Metro State "Roadrunners" athletic teams have won two national championships in track, and four in women's soccer and men's basketball. The Roadrunners compete in many intercollegiate sports, including:
- Cross County
- Track and Field
- Cross Country
- Track and Field
Metropolitan State College of Denver has three campuses:
- Main Campus, Auraria Campus, downtown Denver
Corner of Colfax Ave. and Speer Blvd.
- Metro North, Northglenn
Northglenn, CO 80223 (near 120th Ave. and I-25)
- Metro South, Denver Tech Center
Greenwood Village, CO 80111 (near I-25 and Orchard Rd.)
Metro State is an urban college, and its activities and programs mirror the needs, values and goals of its surrounding communities. Many initiatives foster growth and change through partnerships with local businesses, agencies and organizations throughout the city of Denver.
The Center for Visual Art offers many exhibitions and for both students and community members. Recent events at the CVA have included:
- ALTERED NATURE: Notable Interpretations from South America
BILINGUAL POETRY READING BY ANA MARIA HERNANDO AND KENNETH ROBINSON
Reading in Spanish and English
- COLLECTIVE VISIONS LECTURE:
Fantasy and Nature in Latin American Art by Jillian Mollenhauer, MSCD Assistant Professor of Art History
- RECEPTION FOR RICHARD T. CASTRO VISITING PROFESSORSHIP
Honoring Sonia Nazario, author of Enrique's Journey
- (THREE ZERO THREE) THREE THREE NINE-ONE SIX ONE NINE
Colorado Ballet responds to Altered Nature at the Center for Visual Art
This site-specific and audience interactive dance work takes a humorous look at everyday telephone communication, especially what happens when things go awry.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the applicants Metropolitan State College of Denver accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of students who were accepted, as well as any college credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to get a better feeling of your chances of getting into Metro State.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- High School Academic Ranking are Required
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2010
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||17 - 23|
|ACT ® Math||17 - 23|
|ACT ® Composite Score||18 - 23|
Acceptance Rate Table - Chances of Getting Into Metro State
The table below lists the chances for admission at Metro State.
|Granted Admissions||4,401 (70%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||2,105 (48%)|
The total student enrollment at Metropolitan State College of Denver is about 24,000. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 0.2% enrolling as graduate students and 100% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $8,300. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $25 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- In-State Tuition: $3,800-$4,600
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $15,000-$17,600
- Charges per unit:
- State Residents: $160-$190 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $610-$730 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||67%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||47%||$4,940|
|Receiving Student Loans||45%||$5,299|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 11%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, Metropolitan State College of Denver may offer student services like those listed below:
- Online classes
- Weekend and night classes available
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Helping students find work after graduation
- Child care
Metro State has an overall graduation rate which is around 21%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||4%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||10%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||7%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dietetics Program (more info)
- Art and Design Program
- Music Program (more info)
- Theatre Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
Metro State is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Metropolitan State College of Denver by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Business Administration (B)
- Accounting (B)
- Advertising and Marketing (B)
- Information Systems (B)
- Hospitality Administration and Management (B)
- Finance (B)
Security and Protective Services
- Criminal Justice (B)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Biology (B)
English Language and Literature
- English (B)
- Rhetoric and Composition (B)
- History (B)
Recreation and Fitness Studies
- Sports Medicine (B)
- Parks and Recreation (B)
Visual and Performing Arts
Transportation and Materials Moving
- Airline Pilot and Flight Crew (B)
- Aviation and Airway Management (B)
Public Administration and Social Services
Communications and Journalism
- Journalism (B)
- Public Relations, Advertising and Applied Communication (B)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Nursing (B)
- Healthcare Administration (B)
- Alternative and Complementary Medicine and Medical Systems (B)
- Communication Disorders (B)
Mathematics and Statistics
- Math (B)
Foreign Languages and Literature
- Foreign Languages and Literatures (B)
Natural Resources and Conservation
- Land Use Planning and Management or Development (B)
- Environmental Science (B)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Computer Science (B)
Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Philosophy (B)
- Mechanical Technology Technician (B)
- Civil Engineering Technology (B)
- Electrical and Communications Engineering Technology (B)
- Surveying Technology (B)
- Special Education (B)
- Music Teacher Education (B)
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
- Chicano Studies (B)
- African-American Studies (B)
- Womens Studies
Other 4-Year Public Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Metropolitan State College of Denver.
- University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, CO (49 miles away)
- United States Air Force Academy in USAFA, CO (51 miles away)
- University of Colorado at Colorado Springs in Colorado Springs, CO (59 miles away)
- Colorado State University - Pueblo in Pueblo, CO (102 miles away)
- Western State College of Colorado in Gunnison, CO (132 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: