Get more information about Mississippi Valley State University by clicking links below:
MVSU is a public historically black institution located in Itta Bena, Mississippi. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were established after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. Around two thousand students enroll at MVSU yearly.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs Mississippi Valley State University offers:
- Public Administration And Social Services
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Security And Protective Services
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Communications And Journalism
To be considered for admissions, you may be asked to fill out an application, write a personal statement, and submit school records, which are then evaluated by admissions officials. Most students at MVSU scored within the range of 15 - 19 on the ACT. Only 16 percent of applicants are admitted to the school due to the huge number of applicants and the intense competition for the limited enrollment spots. More information on admissions can be found at mvsu.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is close to $5,800 annually. Tuition prices may change for a variety of reasons, and as such students should use the school's net price calculator to identify their cost of attendance. The price of on-campus housing is estimated to be $3,700 for the year. Students attending MVSU may be eligible for aid which is typically scholarships, grants, and loans.
The MVSU Delta Devils participate in a number of intercollegiate athletic programs, with competitions managed and overseen by the NCAA. Available sports offered may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students can take a look at the school's http://www.mvsu.edu to see additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give an overview of the applicants Mississippi Valley State University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Mississippi Valley State University is around 2,600 students. The student body is made up of 84% undergraduate students and 16% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $9,200. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are between $5,900-$7,100 for both state residents and nonresidents
- Per unit charges are around $270 for part time students
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||98%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||95%||$7,151|
|Receiving Student Loans||96%||$7,353|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Mississippi Valley State University may offer student services like:
- Distance learning
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial instructional courses
- Counseling assistance
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Helping students find work after graduation
- Day care for children
Mississippi Valley State University has an overall graduation rate which is around 26%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||11%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||9%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||6%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, Commission on Accreditation (since 1978)
- Music Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 1992)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1980)
Mississippi Valley State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Football (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Mississippi Valley State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Mississippi Valley State University.
- Delta State University in Cleveland, MS (37 miles away)
- Jackson State University in Jackson, MS (85 miles away)
- University of Arkansas at Monticello in Monticello, AR (88 miles away)
- University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff in Pine Bluff, AR (105 miles away)
- Mississippi University for Women in Columbus, MS (108 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: