Mississippi Valley State University (MVSU)
14000 Highway 82 West, Itta Bena, MS
Get Your Degree Online!
- FAFSA School Code: 002424
- Phone: (662) 254-9041
- School Homepage
- Phone: (662) 254-3344
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (662) 254-3338
- Financial Aid Page
Request more information about programs at Mississippi Valley State University by clicking on the links below:
MVSU is a public historically black institution located in Itta Bena, Mississippi. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were established after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. Around two thousand students enroll at MVSU yearly.
Here is a list of some of the popular programs Mississippi Valley State University offers:
- Public Administration And Social Services
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Security And Protective Services
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
- Communications And Journalism
To be considered for admissions, you may be asked to fill out an application, write a personal statement, and submit school records, which are then evaluated by admissions officials. Most students at MVSU scored within the range of 15 - 19 on the ACT. Only 16 percent of applicants are admitted to the school due to the huge number of applicants and the intense competition for the limited enrollment spots. More information on admissions can be found at mvsu.edu.
The cost of undergraduate tuition is close to $5,800 annually. Tuition prices may change for a variety of reasons, and as such students should use the school's net price calculator to identify their cost of attendance. The price of on-campus housing is estimated to be $3,700 for the year. Students attending MVSU may be eligible for aid which is typically scholarships, grants, and loans.
The MVSU Delta Devils participate in a number of intercollegiate athletic programs, with competitions managed and overseen by the NCAA. Available sports offered may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students can take a look at the school's http://www.mvsu.edu to see additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give an overview of the applicants MVSU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of students that were accepted, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to get a better idea of your chances of getting accepted to MVSU.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- High School Academic Ranking are Required
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2011
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||14 - 19|
|ACT ® Math||15 - 18|
|ACT ® Composite Score||15 - 19|
Acceptance Rate Table - Chances of Getting Into MVSU
The table below lists the chances for admission at Mississippi Valley State University.
|Granted Admissions||690 (16%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||328 (48%)|
Total enrollment at Mississippi Valley State University is around 2,600 students. The student body is made up of 84% undergraduate students and 16% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $9,200. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition is estimated to be around $6,200 per year for in-state and nonresident students
- For part-time students, charges are between $240-$280 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||98%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||95%||$7,151|
|Receiving Student Loans||96%||$7,353|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 10%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Mississippi Valley State University may offer student services like:
- Distance learning
- Classes offered on nights and weekends
- Remedial instructional courses
- Counseling assistance
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Helping students find work after graduation
- Day care for children
MVSU has an overall graduation rate which is around 24%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||11%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||10%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||3%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, Commission on Accreditation (since 1978)
- Music Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation, Commission on Community/Junior College Accreditation (since 1992)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1980)
MVSU is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Football (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Mississippi Valley State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Public Administration and Social Services
Business and Marketing Studies
- Kindergarten and Preschool Education (B)
- Physical Education (B)
- Teacher Education, Multiple Levels (M)
- Elementary Education (B, M)
- Mathematics Teacher Education (B)
- Special Education (M)
- Music Teacher Education (B)
- English and Language Arts Teacher Education
- Social Science Teacher Education
- Teacher and Professional Development
Security and Protective Services
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Biology (B)
- Bioinformatics (M)
Communications and Journalism
- Public Relations (B)
English Language and Literature
- Rhetoric and Composition (B)
- English (B)
- History (B)
- Chemistry (B)
Health and Clinical Professions
- Industrial Technology (B)
Visual and Performing Arts
Mathematics and Statistics
- Math (B)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Computer (B)
Other 4-Year Public Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Mississippi Valley State University.
- Delta State University in Cleveland, MS (37 miles away)
- Jackson State University in Jackson, MS (85 miles away)
- University of Arkansas at Monticello in Monticello, AR (88 miles away)
- University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff in Pine Bluff, AR (105 miles away)
- Mississippi University for Women in Columbus, MS (108 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: