Get more information about Montana State University – Billings by clicking links below:
Montana State University (MSU) Billings was founded in 1927 and it upholds the traditions of the university to provide access to education, excellent teaching, civic engagement and community enhancement.
The university is located on 110 acres of land that resemble a beautiful park and is home to more than 5,000 students. There are 3 campuses spread out through the city and it has a long record of supporting the local community.
MSU Billings offers Associate, Bachelor’s, and Master’s degrees in a range of different subjects that include arts, sciences, health, business, education, mathematics, music and more.
The cost to study at MSU Billings is $12,592 for 2013-2014 academic year and this includes tuition, board, books and other educational supplies.
For students that are interested in sports, MSU Billings is a member of the NCAA II and competes in a range of sports including: basketball, gold, soccer, tennis, baseball and more.
MSU Billings also has a number of different student services including financial aid, career advice and more. Moreover, the university places a strong emphasis on student safety. There are 7 police officers that handle public safety at the university and the school really places safety as one of its highest priorities.
Montana State University also offers online courses for those that want to add flexibility to their studies and want to study at their own convenience.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may provide a better idea of the applicants Montana State University – Billings accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college or dual credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Montana State University – Billings is around 4,800 students, with undergraduate students making up about 91% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $10,500. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $30 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- In-State Tuition: $4,400-$5,300
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $16,000-$19,150
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $180-$220 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $670-$800 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||86%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||70%||$4,667|
|Receiving Student Loans||66%||$5,351|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Montana State University – Billings may offer student services like those listed below:
- Online course work available
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
- Day care
The overall graduation rate of MSUB is close to 48%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||8%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||6%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||4%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, Commission on Accreditation (since 1980)
- Music Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 1979)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (since 1996)
Montana State University – Billings is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division II (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Great Northwest Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Great Northwest Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field, Indoor
- Track and Field, Outdoor
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Montana State University – Billings by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Natural Resources and Conservation
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Montana State University – Billings.
- Montana State University in Bozeman, MT (122 miles away)
- Montana Tech of the University of Montana in Butte, MT (194 miles away)
- Montana State University - Northern in Havre, MT (198 miles away)
- The University of Montana - Western in Dillon, MT (203 miles away)
- Black Hills State University in Spearfish, SD (244 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: