Get more information about Murray State University by clicking links below:
Murray State University is a public college that has a fair number of degree programs available for students to choose from. The school is located in Murray, KY, in a predominately rural area. Approximately nine thousand students enroll at Murray State University annually.
Students may choose from several areas of study, including:
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Agriculture Operations
To be considered for admissions, you may be required to complete an application, provide letters of recommendations, and submit test scores or other school records, which are then reviewed by the admissions staff. The majority of students accepted to Murray State University have an SAT score in a range of 1338 - 1700, or an ACT composite score within the range of 19 - 25. This school has an admissions rate of around 81% of which only 42% chose to attend. More information on admissions can be found here.
The tuition at this school varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay approximately $7,200 per year and out-of-state residents are charged $20,000 per year. Housing is available on-campus for students. The annual cost of housing is around $4,400. Financial aid may be offered to students that meet the required requirements by way of scholarships, grants, and loans.
The mascot for MSU is the "Racers", and they participate in intercollegiate athletics through the oversight and organization of the NCAA. Available athletic programs offered may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students who would like to see more about MSU may visit their website at http://www.murraystate.edu.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give an overview of the applicants Murray State University accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of students that were accepted, as well as any college credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to get a better idea of your chances of getting into Murray State University.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- High School Academic Ranking are Recommended
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2010
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||19 - 26|
|ACT ® Math||18 - 25|
|ACT ® Composite Score||19 - 25|
Acceptance Rate Table
The table below lists the chances of getting accepted into Murray State University.
|Granted Admissions||3,760 (82%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||1,626 (43%)|
The total student enrollment at Murray State University is about 11,000, where graduate students make up roughly 18% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $9,400. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $30 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- State Residents: $5,900-$7,100
- Out-of-State: $18,000-$21,170
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $290-$340 per unit
- Out-of-State: $780-$930 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||98%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||97%||$7,896|
|Receiving Student Loans||56%||$6,623|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2011 was around 10%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, Murray State University may provide services including:
- Online course work available
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Assistance to find work
The overall graduation rate of Murray State University is approximately 53%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||37%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||13%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||3%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dietetics Program
- Speech-Language Pathology Program (more info)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program (more info)
- Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) Program
- Art and Design Program
- Music Program (more info)
- Theatre Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
Murray State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Ohio Valley Conference)
- Basketball (Ohio Valley Conference)
- Track and Field (Ohio Valley Conference)
- Football (Ohio Valley Conference)
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Murray State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Murray State University.
- The University of Tennessee - Martin in Martin, TN (35 miles away)
- Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, TN (55 miles away)
- Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, MO (84 miles away)
- Tennessee State University in Nashville, TN (89 miles away)
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale in Carbondale, IL (91 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: