Get more information about New Mexico State University by clicking links below:
NMSU provides a variety of program options for students to assist them in their growth and development. The school is located in Las Cruces, New Mexico and publically funded. As a land grant institution this school is one of the larger public institutions in the state of New Mexico. Around nineteen thousand students enroll at NMSU per year.
Areas of study offered at NMSU include but are not limited to:
- Security And Protective Services
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
Students applying for admission are usually asked to submit an application, school records, test scores and any requested personal statements, which will then be reviewed by the school. A SAT or ACT exam may be required prior to applying, with scores between 1230 to 1590 on the SAT and between 18 to 24 for the ACT exam is common among students admitted to this school. 80% of those students that apply are admitted to this school, of which 37 percent choose to enroll. More information from the admissions office can be found at prospective.nmsu.edu.
The tuition at New Mexico State University varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay around $6,400 per year, while out-of-state residents are charged $20,000 for the year. The price of on-campus housing is about $4,200 per year. Students enrolled at NMSU may be eligible for aid which is generally grants and loans.
The mascot for New Mexico State University is the "Aggies", and they participate in intercollegiate athletics through the oversight and organization of the NCAA. Athletic programs available may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division I-A)
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-A)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-A)
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give you an idea of the candidates New Mexico State University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at New Mexico State University is around 18,000 students, where graduate students make up roughly 21% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $8,500. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $20 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition range estimates:
- In-State Tuition: $5,000-$5,900
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $19,000-$22,220
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $210-$250 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $770-$930 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||95%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||92%||$8,402|
|Receiving Student Loans||40%||$5,244|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, New Mexico State University may offer services to students like those listed below:
- Online course work available
- Night and weekend classes available
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Assisting students to find work
- Day care
New Mexico State University has an overall graduation rate which is around 43%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||16%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||21%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||7%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Counseling Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Dietetics Program (more info)
- Music Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program (more info)
- Graduate Level Public Health (Outside School of Public Health) Program (more info)
- Speech-Language Pathology Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
NMSU is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division I-A classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Western Athletic Conference)
- Basketball (Western Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Western Athletic Conference)
- Football (Sun Belt Conference)
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by New Mexico State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to New Mexico State University.
- The University of Texas at El Paso in El Paso, TX (38 miles away)
- Western New Mexico University in Silver City, NM (96 miles away)
- New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology in Socorro, NM (124 miles away)
- New Mexico Military Institute in Roswell, NM (151 miles away)
- University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM (194 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: