Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks
Tulpehocken Rd, Reading, PA
- FAFSA School Code: 003329
- Phone: (610) 396-6000
- School Homepage
- Phone: (610) 396-6060
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (610) 396-6071
- Financial Aid Page
Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks is a public college that has a fair number of majors available for students to choose from. The school is located in Reading, PA, in a predominately rural area. Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks has a yearly student enrollment of around 2,800.
A list of some of the more popular programs offered are:
- Elementary Education
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA)
- Kinesiology And Exercise Science
Students applying for admission are required to submit an application, school records, test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by admissions officials. Students may take either the ACT or SAT scores to be considered for admissions to this school. A score in a range of 1270 to 1610 on the SAT, or 17 to 23 for the ACT is common among accepted students. This school accepts roughly 80% of students applying yearly. Of those students admitted, about 38% attended the school. More information on admissions can be found at admissions.psu.edu.
The cost of tuition is different for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state residents pay nearly $15,000 and nonresidents pay $22,000 for the year. Housing may be available for students that would like to live on-campus for a cost of $6,200 annually. Some students at this school may be eligible for financial aid, which is typically provided as scholarships, grants, and loans.
Athletic programs are available at Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks through the NCAA, allowing students to participate in intercollegiate athletics. Athletic programs available:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Golf (NCAA Division III)
- Soccer (NCAA Division III)
Students should visit the Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks website to get a complete list of academic programs offered, financial aid details, and more.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give you an idea of the applicants Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of students that were accepted, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to have a better understanding of your chances of getting into Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- High School Academic Ranking are Recommended
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
SAT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2010
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|SAT ® Critical Reading||420 - 530|
|SAT ® Math||440 - 560|
|SAT ® Writing||410 - 520|
|SAT ® Total Score||1270 - 1610|
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2010
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||17 - 22|
|ACT ® Math||17 - 24|
|ACT ® Composite Score||17 - 23|
Acceptance Rate Table
The table below lists the chances of getting into Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks.
|Granted Admissions||2,371 (82%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||894 (38%)|
The total student enrollment at Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks is about 2,800. The student body is made up of 97% undergraduate students and 3% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $19,800. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $50 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- In-State: $13,000-$15,000
- Out-of-State: $20,000-$23,460
- Charges per unit:
- In-State: $530-$640 per unit
- Out-of-State: $820-$980 per unit
- May offer prepaid tuition rates, allowing tuition to be purchased at current rates for future enrollment.
Financial Aid Details
The financial aid table below details the types of financial aid, along with the percent of students receiving aid, and on average the amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||83%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||51%||$6,143|
|Receiving Student Loans||74%||$6,896|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 4%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks may provide student services including:
- Online course work available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
- Helping students find work after graduation
Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks has an overall graduation rate which is around 54%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||29%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||17%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||4%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) Program (more info)
- * Accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (since 1993)
Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division III (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (365)
- Basketball (365)
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Commerce (A, B)
- Hospitality Administration and Management (A)
Health and Clinical Professions
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Communications and Journalism
- Communications (B)
- Psychology (B)
- Biological and Physical Sciences (B)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Biology (B)
Foreign Languages and Literature
- Foreign Languages and Literatures (B)
English Language and Literature
- Technical and Business Writing (B)
- Mechanical Technology Technician (A)
- Electrical and Communications Engineering Technology (A)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Liberal Arts (A)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Information Science Studies (A)
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
- United States Studies (B)
Visual and Performing Arts
- Acting (B)
- Agricultural Business and Management (A)
Other 4-Year Public Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Berks.
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Schuylkill in Schuylkill Haven, PA (22 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Lehigh Valley in Center Valley, PA (24 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Brandywine in Media, PA (41 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Hazleton in Hazleton, PA (43 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State York in York, PA (48 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: