Get more information about South Carolina State University by clicking links below:
South Carolina State University is a public historically black institution located in Orangeburg, SC. Most historically black colleges and universities (also known as HBCUs) were established after the civil war to provide newly freed African Americans with educational opportunities. As a land grant institution this school is one of the larger public institutions in the state of South Carolina. Nearly four thousand students enroll at South Carolina State University per year.
Areas of study offered at SC State include but are not limited to:
- Family And Consumer Sciences
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
The admissions process begins with the submission of an application, transcripts, and test scores, which are then reviewed by admissions staff. Either the ACT or SAT exam must be taken to apply to this school. Scores in a range of 15 to 19 on the ACT or 760 to 930 on the SAT are needed to greatly increase the chance of getting accepted. Approximately 100 percent of all applicant were admitted at South Carolina State University, with 27 percent of those admitted choosing to enroll. More information regarding admissions can be found here.
The cost of undergraduate tuition varies for in-state and nonresidents. In-state residents pay approximately $10,000 and out-of-state residents pay $20,000 for the year. The price of on-campus housing is around $6,100 per year. Financial aid may be offered to students that meet the required requirements.
The South Carolina State University Bulldogs participate in a number of athletic programs, as part of the NCAA organization. Athletic programs available may include:
- Basketball (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Football (NCAA Division I-AA)
- Golf (NCAA Division I-AA)
Students may visit the SC State website to see a complete list of areas of study, programs, financial aid details, and more that is available at this school.
Admission Requirements & Details
The information regarding admissions below may give you an idea of the students South Carolina State University accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of students who were accepted, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to get a better idea of your chances of getting into South Carolina State University.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- High School Academic Ranking are Required
- Letters of Recommendation are Recommended
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2013
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||0 - 0|
|ACT ® Math||0 - 0|
|ACT ® Composite Score||17 - 19|
Acceptance Rate Table
The table below lists the chances of getting accepted into South Carolina State University.
|Granted Admissions||2,285 (51%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||569 (25%)|
The total student enrollment at South Carolina State University is about 3,300, with undergraduate students making up about 84% of the total student population and graduate students making up the rest.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $16,100. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $25 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- In-State Tuition: $7,300-$8,700
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $17,000-$20,470
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $420-$500 per unit
- Out-of-State: $810-$970 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||96%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||90%||$9,738|
|Receiving Student Loans||84%||$7,255|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2011 was around 23%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and recent graduates, South Carolina State University may offer services to students including:
- Distance learning
- Weekend and night classes available
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assistance to find work
The overall graduation rate of South Carolina State University is around 35%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||14%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||15%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||5%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dietetics Program
- Speech-Language Pathology Program (more info)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
- Art and Design Program
- Music Program
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
South Carolina State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports belonging to the NCAA Division I-AA classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Basketball (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Track and Field (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Football (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by South Carolina State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to South Carolina State University.
- University of South Carolina - Sumter in Sumter, SC (41 miles away)
- University of South Carolina - Salkehatchie in Allendale, SC (44 miles away)
- University of South Carolina - Aiken in Aiken, SC (53 miles away)
- Citadel Military College of South Carolina in Charleston, SC (71 miles away)
- College of Charleston in Charleston, SC (73 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities:
- Visit the main South Carolina colleges & universities profile page
- Review a list of South Carolina state universities