Get more information about Southern Connecticut State University by clicking links below:
Southern Connecticut State University provides a variety of program options for students to aid them in their growth and development. The school is located in New Haven, CT and publically funded. Southern Connecticut State University has a yearly student enrollment of approximately 12,000.
Students may pick from a few areas of study, including but not limited to:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Liberal Arts And Sciences
- Health And Clinical Professions
Students applying for admission are generally required to submit an application, school records, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by admissions officials. Very common test scores among students accepted to Southern Connecticut State University are within the range of 17 to 22 for the ACT exam, or 1270 to 1560 on the SAT exam. An estimated 70 percent of all students that applied were admitted at this school, with 35 percent of those admitted choosing to attend. More information on admissions can be found here.
The cost of tuition is different for in-state and out-of-state residents. In-state residents pay approximately $9,100 and nonresidents pay $21,000 for the year. The price of on-campus housing is approximately $6,200 per year. This school may provide financial aid for students that are eligible by way of loans, grants, scholarships and work study programs.
The Southern Connecticut State University "Owls" have a number of intercollegiate athletic programs through participation in the NCAA. Athletic programs offered may include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
- Field Hockey (NCAA Division II)
Students should take a look at the school's http://www.southernct.edu to view additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give an overview of the candidates SCSU accepts. The details may include admissions application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Total enrollment at Southern Connecticut State University is around 11,000 students. The enrollment breakdown by academic level is 25% enrolling as graduate students and 75% as undergraduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $10,600. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $50 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- In-State Tuition: $4,600-$5,500
- Nonresident Student Tuition: $15,000-$17,860
- Charges per unit:
- In-State: $460-$550 per unit
- Out-of-State: $470-$570 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table listed below helps break down the types of financial aid students receive and the percent receiving aid, as well as the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||81%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||56%||$7,060|
|Receiving Student Loans||70%||$6,178|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, Southern Connecticut State University may offer services like those listed below:
- Online course work available
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assisting students to find work
Southern Connecticut State University has an overall graduation rate which is close to 49%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||18%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||24%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||7%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program (more info)
- Graduate Level Public Health (Outside School of Public Health) Program (more info)
- Speech-Language Pathology Program (more info)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
Southern Connecticut State University is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (with football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Northeast 10 Conference)
- Basketball (Northeast 10 Conference)
- Track and Field (Northeast 10 Conference)
- Field Hockey
- Football (Northeast 10 Conference)
- Swimming and Diving
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Southern Connecticut State University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Southern Connecticut State University.
- Western Connecticut State University in Danbury, CT (26 miles away)
- Central Connecticut State University in New Britain, CT (27 miles away)
- SUNY at Purchase College in Purchase, NY (44 miles away)
- Eastern Connecticut State University in Willimantic, CT (46 miles away)
- SUNY College at Old Westbury in Old Westbury, NY (50 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: