Get more information about University of Massachusetts – Boston by clicking links below:
UMass Boston is a public institution located in Boston, MA and provides a large number of degree programs for students. Enrollment at UMass Boston is nearly 15,000 per year.
Students may pick from several areas of study, including but not limited to:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- Health And Clinical Professions
- Security And Protective Services
Students applying for admission are usually required to submit an application, transcripts, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by the admissions office. The majority of students at UMass Boston scored between 880 - 1110 on the SAT exam. 68% of those who apply are accepted to University of Massachusetts - Boston, of which 29 percent choose to enroll.
Tuition & fees at University of Massachusetts - Boston are different for in-state and nonresidents. In-state tuition costs approximately $13,000 per year with out-of-state tuition costing $27,000 for the year. Some students at University of Massachusetts - Boston may qualify for financial aid, which is generally provided as scholarships, grants, and loans.
The UMass Boston Beacons participate in several athletic programs, within the NCAA organization. Sports available may include but not limited to:
- Baseball (NCAA Division III)
- Basketball (NCAA Division III)
- Ice Hockey (NCAA Division III)
- Lacrosse (NCAA Division III)
Students may visit the school's http://www.umb.edu to see additional information.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admissions information below may give you an idea of the applicants University of Massachusetts – Boston accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any AP or college credits that may be transferred.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Required
- Letters of Recommendation are Required
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
Acceptance Rate Table
The table below lists the chances of getting accepted into University of Massachusetts – Boston.
|Granted Admissions||5,834 (71%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||1,413 (24%)|
The total student enrollment at University of Massachusetts – Boston is about 16,000, where graduate students make up roughly 24% of the student body.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $10,900. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $60 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $1,700-$2,100
- Out-of-State: $9,800-$11,710
- Charges per unit:
- In-State: $71-$85 per unit
- Out-of-State: $410-$490 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||84%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||70%||$7,595|
|Receiving Student Loans||67%||$5,272|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2011 was around 9%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help students and alumni, University of Massachusetts – Boston may offer services like those listed below:
- Distance learning
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
- Day care
University of Massachusetts – Boston has an overall graduation rate which is close to 40%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||14%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||18%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||8%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) Program (more info)
- Clinical Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program (more info)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program
University of Massachusetts – Boston is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division III (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Little East Conference)
- Basketball (Little East Conference)
- Ice Hockey
- Track and Field, Indoor
- Track and Field, Outdoor
- Track and Field, X-Country
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by University of Massachusetts – Boston by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to University of Massachusetts – Boston.
- Salem State College in Salem, MA (16 miles away)
- Framingham State College in Framingham, MA (20 miles away)
- Bridgewater State University in Bridgewater, MA (22 miles away)
- University of Massachusetts - Lowell in Lowell, MA (28 miles away)
- Rhode Island College in Providence, RI (38 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: