University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown
Also known as "Pitt-Johnson"
450 Schoolhouse Road, Johnstown, PA
College Video Tour
- FAFSA School Code: 003379
- Phone: (814) 269-7000
- School Homepage
- Phone: (814) 269-7050
- Admissions Page
Financial Aid Office
- Phone: (814) 269-7045
- Financial Aid Page
University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown, a public institution, offers a variety of educational opportunities, allowing students to choose which major is right for them. Located in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, the school offers a suburban setting for students to study in. Enrollment at University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown exceeds three thousand annually.
Areas of study available at Pitt-Johnson include:
- Business And Marketing Studies
- English Language And Literature
- Biological And Biomedical Sciences
Students applying for admission are required to submit an application, transcripts, standardized test scores and any requested letters of recommendations, which will then be reviewed by admissions staff. The most common test scores among students accepted to University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown are within the range of 19 - 23 for the ACT exam, or 1340 - 1640 on the SAT exam. 88% of those students that apply are admitted to this school, of which 52 percent choose to enroll. More information regarding admissions can be found at upj.pitt.edu.
The tuition at University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown varies based on the state of residence of the student. In-state residents pay approximately $14,000 per year and out-of-state residents are charged $25,000 per year. Housing is available for students and costs about $5,600 annually. University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown may offer financial aid for students that are eligible in the form of scholarships, grants, and loans.
The Pitt-Johnson Mountain Cats participate in a number of athletic programs, overseen by the NCAA. Athletic programs that are available include:
- Baseball (NCAA Division II)
- Basketball (NCAA Division II)
- Track & Field (NCAA Division II)
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may give you an idea of the students Pitt-Johnson accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, SAT/ACT scores of accepted students, as well as any AP college credits that may be transferred. This information can be used to see your chances of getting into Pitt-Johnson.
Admission Requirements & Recommendations
- High School G.P.A. and School Records are Recommended
- High School Academic Ranking are Recommended
- Letters of Recommendation are Recommended
- SAT or ACT Test Scores are Required
- TOEFL for ESL Students are Required
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- AP Course Credits
Admissions Test Scores - SAT Exam, ACT Exam, etc...
SAT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2010
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|SAT ® Critical Reading||450 - 540|
|SAT ® Math||460 - 570|
|SAT ® Writing||430 - 530|
|SAT ® Total Score||1340 - 1640|
ACT ® scores for students that were accepted Fall 2010
|Score Range (25th to 75th Percentile)|
|ACT ® English||19 - 23|
|ACT ® Math||19 - 24|
|ACT ® Composite Score||19 - 23|
Acceptance Rate Table - Chances of Getting Into Pitt-Johnson
The table below lists the chances of getting accepted into University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown.
|Granted Admissions||1,473 (88%)|
|Accepted Students That Enrolled||765 (52%)|
The total student enrollment at University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown is about 3,000.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $16,000. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $45 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $12,000-$14,000
- Out-of-State: $22,000-$26,840
- Charges per unit:
- State Residents: $500-$600 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $930-$1,100 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||92%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||70%||$6,340|
|Receiving Student Loans||80%||$6,638|
Note: The estimated default rate of students taking federal student loans in 2009 was around 2%.
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo help support students, University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown may offer student services including:
- Online course work available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Assistance to find work
The overall graduation rate of Pitt-Johnson is close to 60%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||37%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||18%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||3%|
Pitt-Johnson is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division II (without football) classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Basketball (West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
- Track and Field (West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conf)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (Ph.D.,M.D.,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
- Commerce (B, C)
English Language and Literature
- Rhetoric and Composition (B)
- English Literature (B)
- Creative Writing (B)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Civil Engineering Technology (B)
- Mechanical Technology Technician (B)
- Electrical and Communications Engineering Technology (B)
- Psychology (B)
Computer and Information Sciences
- Computer Science (B)
Health and Clinical Professions
- History (B)
Communications and Journalism
- Journalism (B)
Mathematics and Statistics
- Math (B)
Ethnic Cultural and Gender Studies
- Area Studies (C)
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Humanistic Studies (B)
Visual and Performing Arts
- Drama (B)
Other 4-Year Public Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to University of Pittsburgh - Johnstown.
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Altoona in Altoona, PA (29 miles away)
- University of Pittsburgh - Greensburg in Greensburg, PA (36 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Greater Allegheny in McKeesport, PA (52 miles away)
- Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, WV (80 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Beaver in Monaca, PA (82 miles away)
Also, you can compare schools by looking through our list of colleges & universities: