Get more information about West Virginia University by clicking links below:
West Virginia University (WVU) is a public university in Morgantown, West Virginia, offering 193 academic degree programs. The broad range of majors and study programs at WVU include biometric systems, business, community design, study abroad, teacher training, environmental geoscience, interior design, landscape architecture, law, pharmacy, religious studies and theatre arts, among many others. Students have many opportunities at WVU to further customize their academic studies by participating in an honors program, internship, online classes, service learning projects or study abroad programs.
After President Abraham Lincoln singed the Morrill Act in 1862 that offered land grants of federal land to each state that agreed to establish a college to teach architecture and engineering, West Virginia established its college in 1867 with six students. Founded under the name of the "Agricultural College of West Virginia, the name of the school was changed to West Virginia University in 1868.
West Virginia University's academic calendar follows the semester format, with fall, spring and summer "terms."
Colleges and Schools
West Virginia University has 13 colleges and schools:
- Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Design
- Eberly College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Creative Arts
- School of Dentistry
- College of Engineering and Mineral Resources
- College of Human Resources and Education
- Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism
- College of Law
- School of Medicine
- School of Nursing
- School of Pharmacy
- College of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences
WVU has hundreds of student clubs and organizations available, along with numerous chapters of fraternities and sororities. There are also many programs and activities in intramural sports, academics, volunteer and community service, government and leadership. Students may also establish their own group on campus, if they don't find an established group that reflects their particular interests.
There are many music events to enjoy, along with other recreation activities, including a Mountaineer Adventure Program that provides students the opportunity to enjoy outdoor adventure sports.
There are both co-ed and single-gender housing options offered on campus, along with numerous dining services. Health and wellness services are available, including fitness facilities.
The WVU "Mountaineers" athletics teams compete in many intercollegiate sports, and the "Mountaineer Maniacs" student cheer group helps to cheer on the 60,000 Mountaineer fans that attend the school's popular sporting events.
- Swimming and Diving
- Cross Country
- Swimming and Diving
- Indoor Track/Outdoor Track
In addition to its main campus in Morgantown, WVU also has two divisions located in other cities in West Virginia:
- Potomac State College of WVU (Keyser, West Virginia)
- WVU Institute of Technology (Montgomery, West Virginia)
Morgantown, West Virginia is designated as a top "Small City in America" or "Best Small City" by many national publications. The town is situated in the beautiful hills of West Virginia, with easy access to skiing and snowboarding, hiking, rock climbing and other outdoor activities.
Admission Requirements & Details
The admission details below may provide a better idea of the candidates WVU accepts. The details may include application requirements and recommendations, as well as any college credits that may be transferred.
College Credits Accepted
- Dual Credits
- Life Experience Credits
- AP Course Credits
The total student enrollment at West Virginia University is about 29,000. The student body is made up of 77% undergraduate students and 23% graduate students.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $8,300. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $45 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- In-State: $7,000-$8,400
- Out-of-State: $20,000-$24,290
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $290-$350 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $840-$1,000 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The information below lists the financial aid types students are receiving. Also shown are the percent of students receiving aid and the average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||88%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||73%||$6,861|
|Receiving Student Loans||59%||$6,922|
Academics & Student Services
Student ServicesTo support students and graduates, West Virginia University may provide services to students like:
- Distance learning
- Career path counseling
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
- Child care
West Virginia University has an overall graduation rate which is around 57%.
|Number of Year to Graduate||Percent of Entering Class|
|Students Graduating in 4 Years||33%|
|Graduating in 5 Years||19%|
|Graduating in 6 Years||4%|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- Clinical Audiology (Au.D.) Program (more info)
- Clinical Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Counseling Psychology (Ph.D.) Program
- Dental Hygienist Program (more info)
- Dietetics Program
- Endodontics Program
- Law Program (more info)
- Medical (M.D.) Program (more info)
- Music Program (more info)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN) Program (more info)
- Nursing (MSN, DSN) Program (more info)
- Occupational Therapy (OT) Program (more info)
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Program
- Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics Program
- Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program (more info)
- Prosthodontics Program
- Graduate Level Public Health (Outside School of Public Health) Program (more info)
- Speech-Language Pathology Program (more info)
- Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Education Program (more info)
- Theatre Program
WVU is a Member of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), with many of the sports being in the NCAA Division I-A classification. The most popular sports played are listed below:
- Baseball (Big Twelve Conference)
- Basketball (Big Twelve Conference)
- Track and Field (Big Twelve Conference)
- Football (Big Twelve Conference)
- Swimming and Diving
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by West Virginia University by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Public Administration and Social Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other 4-Year Public Colleges
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to West Virginia University.
- Fairmont State University in Fairmont, WV (16 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Fayette - Eberly Campus in Lemont Furnace, PA (19 miles away)
- California University of Pennsylvania in California, PA (29 miles away)
- Pennsylvania State University - Penn State Greater Allegheny in McKeesport, PA (49 miles away)
- University of Pittsburgh - Greensburg in Greensburg, PA (49 miles away)
See a list of all the colleges and universities by clicking on one of the links below: