A concentration of colleges and universities can be found in Missouri’s three major cities, Saint Louis, Springfield and Kansas City. The state of Missouri houses over 200 colleges, vocational/career schools and universities including the University of Missouri school system.
The University of Missouri School System was founded in 1963 when the University of Kansas City, a private institution, was acquired and renamed the University of Missouri – Kansas City, and joined the University of Missouri as a centralized state run institution. The University of Missouri School System currently operates four universities:
- University of Missouri, Columbia
- University of Missouri – Kansas City
- Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla
- University of Missouri – St. Louis
In addition to the University of Missouri School System, there are other publically funded institutions within the Missouri border. These schools operate independently of one another rather than have a centralized organization manage them. The three largest public institutions not part of the UMSS are:
- Missouri State University, Joplin
- University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg
- Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau
The state of Missouri is also home to many private institutions. These institutions operate independent of the state. Often the schools will have a specific purpose or intention in their founding that drives the direction and educational offerings of the school. A large number of these institutions have been in operation for over one hundred years, with some quickly approaching their bicentennial. The three largest private institutions are:
In addition to the various four year institutions, Missouri has many two year colleges, technical and vocational schools and privately operated career schools. Many of the community colleges are state run and operate as feeder schools into four year institutions, usually through an agreement of curriculum that guarantees entry or allows for credit transfer. Career, technical and vocational schools assist students in obtaining the skills necessary to perform jobs in a chosen field.
Browse Schools by Career in Missouri
Follow the links below to get information on accredited schools in our database that offer programs or degrees.
Medicine & Healthcare
- Medical Schools in Missouri (M.D.) (4 Schools)
- Pharmacy Schools in Missouri (Pharm. D.) (2 Schools)
- Physical Therapy Schools in Missouri (DPT, MPT) (8 Schools)
- Dental Schools in Missouri (D.D.S.) (2 Schools)
- Veterinary Schools in Missouri (D.V.M.) (1 Schools)
- Nursing Schools in Missouri (BSN, RN, LPN, ...) (104 Schools)
Law & Criminal Justice
- Law Schools in Missouri (J.D.) (4 Schools)