Get more information about Horry – Georgetown Technical College by clicking links below:
Horry-Georgetown Technical College, located in Conway, South Carolina, was founded in 1966 as the Horry-Marion-Georgetown Technical Education Center. As the school grew and its focus changed, the center was renamed to its current name. The school now serves the Horry and Georgetown Counties, while Florence-Darlington Technical School now serves Marion County. HGTC is the fourth largest technical college in the state, offering over 70 programs across its three campuses (Conway, Myrtle Beach and Georgetown).
HGTC offers over 70 vocational and degree programs. The school has had over 17,000 graduates since it first opened, with 90% of the graduates remaining in the area. The school offers flexible course scheduling along with online classes, along with credit and non-credit courses to provide the community with educational options. Programs provide degrees, certificates and diplomas. Certificate and diploma programs are generally short in length and provide career training and preparation. Technical and vocation degree programs also provide career preparation but include general education courses to fill out the curriculum. Academic programs generally fulfill the first two years of a four year education and allow for transfer into a bachelor's program.
Programs offered include:
HGTC also provides continuing education classes for adults wishing to pursue training in a particular subject. Continuing education courses are non-credit, and require no prior education to transcripts to enroll in. Individuals may choose to take continuing education courses to explore new subjects or to refresh and update their knowledge base.
Admissions and Financial Aid
Students interested in enrolling at HGTC should complete and submit the application along with the application fee, provide all test scores and transcripts, submit to a background check, provide immunization information, and perform a physical exam if required by one's program. Once completed, students should fill out and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine financial aid eligibility. Financial aid is available in the form of grants, loans and scholarships. Students wishing to inquire further may visit or contact the financial aid office.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $6,700. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. There is also a $30 application fee for students applying to the school. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $3,700-$4,400
- Out-of-State: $6,700-$7,980
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $150-$180 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $280-$330 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||89%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||87%||$5,378|
|Receiving Student Loans||37%||$5,169|
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and alumni, Horry – Georgetown Technical College may provide services like those listed below:
- Online course work available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Career path counseling
- Work study style employment
- Assistance to find work
- Child care
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges offer a variety of career and transfer options for students. The following table shows the graduation and transfer-out rates for this school, versus those community colleges in South Carolina, which can be valuable information for determining which school to attend.
|Horry – Georgetown Technical College||Horry County||South Carolina|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: Horry – Georgetown Technical College
- Dental Assistant Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1999)
- Dental Hygienist Program (more info)
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1998)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1998)
- Compare all associate's degree in nursing (ADN) programs in South Carolina
- Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) Program (more info)
- Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1999)
Campus: Grand Strand Campus
- Radiology Technician Program
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1992)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Horry – Georgetown Technical College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Natural Resources and Conservation
Personal and Culinary Services
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Horry – Georgetown Technical College.
- Southeastern Community College - Whiteville in Whiteville, NC (38 miles away)
- Brunswick Community College in Bolivia, NC (47 miles away)
- Williamsburg Technical College in Kingstree, SC (48 miles away)
- Florence - Darlington Technical College in Florence, SC (55 miles away)
- Robeson Community College in Lumberton, NC (59 miles away)