Northwest College, located in Powell Wyoming, is a community college that highlights a large variety of 2-year programs that either lead to matriculation into a four-year degree program or provide students with the ability to apply their skills to a specific discipline soon after they graduate. Located at 231 W. 6th Street, the college lies in a town and area that was once home to the Crow, Shoshone and Blackfoot tribes. Just 75 miles east of Yellowstone, the city was designated as an All-America City in 1994.
Popular areas of study include the liberal arts and sciences as well as courses that lead to a general studies and humanities degree. The subject of agriculture also holds a strong appeal for a large part of the student population, many of whom reside in the surrounding ranch and agricultural area. The school features associates degree programs in agricultural teacher education and crop production and certificate and two-year degree programs in agricultural production and operations. Other areas of study include accounting, CAD/CADD drafting, and animal sciences.
In addition, the school’s curriculum includes independent study options, double major courses of study, cooperative education, and internships. The ratio of women and men is 59% and 41% respectively. Most students attend full-time at the Wyoming school. The closest major city is Billings and the nearest airport is located in Cody. Tuition is mid-range, between $2,000 and $6,000 for the school year. For further information, you can contact the school toll-free at 800-560-4692.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $6,200. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $2,000-$2,400
- Out-of-State: $6,000-$7,171
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $83-$100 per unit
- Out-of-State: $250-$300 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||93%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||90%||$6,366|
|Receiving Student Loans||28%||$4,476|
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and recent graduates, Northwest College – Powell may offer services to students including:
- Online course work available
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Work study style employment
- Day care
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges often offer both career training programs and options for students to transfer-out to four year institutions, which is why the table below is so important, it compares Northwest College – Powell against community colleges in Wyoming.
|Northwest Community College||Park County||Wyoming|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Art and Design Program
- Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design, Commission on Accreditation (since 2014)
- Music Program
- Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation (since 1996)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program
- Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1993)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Northwest College – Powell by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Business and Marketing Studies
Communications and Journalism
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Statistics
Natural Resources and Conservation
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Transportation and Materials Moving
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Northwest College – Powell.
- Sheridan College in Sheridan, WY (89 miles away)
- Central Wyoming College in Riverton, WY (121 miles away)
- Chief Dull Knife College in Lame Deer, MT (124 miles away)
- Western Wyoming Community College in Rock Springs, WY (220 miles away)
- Dawson Community College in Glendive, MT (252 miles away)