South Mountain Community College (SMCC) offers quality higher education for a diverse Arizona community. Their mission is to create a learning environment that promotes caring for education as well as a foundation for student development and productive citizenship on a global scale.
In order for them to successfully meet these goals, here’s what they have to offer:
- General education courses.
- Guaranteed transfer programs to 4 year institutions.
- Career development and occupational education.
- Continued education.
- English as a second language and developmental studies.
- Social and cultural events.
- Quality student services and first-hand academic support.
Over 4,700 students are currently enrolled at the college and the entire student population is comprised of undergraduates. SMCC is considered a fairly large school due to its student population.
South Mountain Community College has locations throughout Phoenix (Ahwatukee, Laveen and Guadalupe). You're able to learn more about their campus by scheduling a visit or exploring their Arts center. Also their Student Life center is open for visitation.
SMCC has recently set in place a new student information system to help provide an additional self-service for students. Here’s what it offers:
- The ability to search through all classes offered at Maricopa Community Colleges.
- Instant access to your financial accounts and financial aid at all colleges.
- Adjusting your financial aid rewards online by either accepting or reducing them.
- 24/7 access to all mandatory forms.
- Class registration and online payable tuition.
- Access to your grades.
The information you get is exclusively made available to you.
The tuition fees have to be paid at the time you decide to register or by a specific deadline listed at their website, according to the fee schedule. You'll notice how the tuition is different for in-state and out-of-state residents. The out-of-state tuition is an additional $5,785.
Last year 90% of all SMCC students received some type of financial aid. This percentage indicates that SMCC offers financial aid at a higher proportion in comparison to most 4 year universities.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $7,200. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $2,000-$2,400
- Out-of-State: $7,800-$9,360
- Charges per unit:
- In-State: $84-$100 per unit
- Out-of-State: $330-$390 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||85%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||82%||$4,503|
|Receiving Student Loans||14%||$3,831|
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and alumni, South Mountain Community College may offer services to students like those listed below:
- Distance learning
- Night and weekend classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Counseling assistance
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assistance to find work
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Many community colleges are not only a source of technical or career training but also a stepping stone for students to transfer-out to a 4-year college, therefore we have included both graduation and transfer rates below and how this school compares against other community colleges in Maricopa County and community colleges in Arizona as a whole.
|South Mountain Community College||Maricopa County||Arizona|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Montessori Teacher Education Program
- Accredited by the Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education, Commission on Accreditation (since 2007)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by South Mountain Community College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Family and Consumer Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Natural Resources and Conservation
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to South Mountain Community College.
- Scottsdale Community College in Scottsdale, AZ (12 miles away)
- Chandler - Gilbert Community College in Chandler, AZ (15 miles away)
- Glendale Community College in Glendale, AZ (16 miles away)
- Paradise Valley Community College in Phoenix, AZ (19 miles away)
- Estrella Mountain Community College in Avondale, AZ (19 miles away)