Southwestern Michigan College (SMC) Dowagiac, Michigan, campus is one of two SMC campuses—the other located in Niles, Michigan.
The mission of Southwestern Michigan College is to serve our community by providing affordable local access to high quality post-secondary career preparation and college education—including the total college life experience.
Areas of Study:
- Communications / Humanities / Social Science
- School of Advanced Technology
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Math & Science
- School of Business
- School of Nursing and Health Services
- Work-Based Learning / Internships
The Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degree from SMC meet general requirements for many four-year colleges and universities. The Transfer Resource Room allows students to access all transfer school material, work on their applications, and meet with advisors to plan their transfer
- In-District: $109.50 per credit hour
- In-State: $141.50 per credit hour
- Out of State: $154.00 per credit hour
- International: $198.00 per credit hour
Mandatory Fees include Registration Fee and Technology Fee.
Advising and Academic Support is available to all students by appointment only. The Student Activity Center includes a game room, gym, three resistance pools, fitness center, and rock climbing room.
Apply Online (http://www.swmich.edu/applynow)
Financial Aid is available to those who qualify (http://www.swmich.edu/financialaid)
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $7,400. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $3,500-$4,200
- Out-of-State: $5,000-$5,942
- Charges per unit:
- State Residents: $110-$140 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $160-$190 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||86%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||77%||$5,105|
|Receiving Student Loans||40%||$4,795|
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help support students, Southwestern Michigan College may offer services to students like those listed below:
- Remedial courses
- Career path counseling
- Student employment
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Students who attend a community college will be able to choose from a variety of programs that will lead to an associate's degree or transfer to a four year institution. The following list shows graduation and transfer-out rates for Southwestern Michigan College compared to community colleges in Michigan, which can be useful for determining which community college to attend.
|Southwestern Michigan College||Cass County||Michigan|
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Southwestern Michigan College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
English Language and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Southwestern Michigan College.
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College in Kalamazoo, MI (27 miles away)
- Glen Oaks Community College in Centreville, MI (30 miles away)
- City Colleges of Chicago - Harold Washington College in Chicago, IL (80 miles away)
- City Colleges of Chicago - Olive - Harvey College in Chicago, IL (80 miles away)
- City Colleges of Chicago - Harry S Truman College in Chicago, IL (81 miles away)