Tidewater Community College (TCC) in the Hampton Roads region of Norfolk, Virginia is a fast growing two-year college that offers Associate's Degrees, as well as an affordable way for students wishing to transfer to a four-year university to earn their general education credits toward a bachelor's degree. Additionally, TCC offers professional training programs, some of which have been developed in partnership with local area businesses and government agencies. TCC is the largest provider of workforce training services in the area.
TCC is ranked in the top 5 community colleges in the nation for its delivery of technology, and has been recognized for effectively incorporating technology advances into its teaching and learning process. TCC offers online and tele-classes in addition to its campus-based classes.
Tidewater Community College was founded in 1968. It is part of the Virginia Community College System.
Tidewater Community College follows the semester system, with fall, spring and summer semesters.
The programs, study plans and degrees offered at TCC include:
- Career and Technical Plans
- College Transfer Plans
- Associate of Arts
- Associate of Science
- Associate of Applied Arts
- Associate of Applied Science
- Career Studies Programs
- Certificate Programs
- International Programs
- Fire Science
- Registered Nursing
- Health Professions
- Health Information Technology
- Information Systems Technology
- Teacher Preparation
- Tech Prep
- UVA Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Veterinary Technology
- Distance Learning
TCC's Student Activities Office has information about student events, activities and resources. There are many student clubs and organizations available at TCC, and students can also become involved in student government. The Honor Society, Phi Theta Kappa, is quite active at TCC. The student newspaper, The TCC Times, offers information about campus events and sports.
The TCC athletics teams, the "Storms" or "Lady Storms," compete in some intercollegiate sports and include men's basketball and soccer, and women's basketball.
Tidewater Community College has four campuses, which are in Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth/Suffolk, and Virginia Beach, Virginia. Additionally, the college has regional centers as follows:
- Center for Visual Arts, Portsmouth
- Center for Performing Arts, Norfolk
- Center for Advanced Technology, Virginia Beach
- Center for Automotive, Chesapeake
TCC offers many events that are open to the public from the surrounding communities, including productions from the TCC Visual Arts Center. There is a Literary Festival in the spring, and the TCC campus supports events celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month (September/October) and Black History Month (February).
TCC partners with organizations in the community to provide services such as the Advanced Technology Center, the Child Development Lab, and more.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $6,700. To calculate a more personalized cost visit the net price calculator. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $4,100-$4,900
- Out-of-State: $9,400-$11,250
- Part-time students are charged:
- In-State: $140-$160 per unit
- Out-of-State: $310-$380 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||75%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||62%||$4,658|
|Receiving Student Loans||31%||$4,987|
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help students and alumni, Tidewater Community College may provide services to students including:
- Online classes
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial instructional courses
- Counseling assistance
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Assistance to find work
- Day care for children
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges offer a variety of career and transfer options for students. The following table shows the graduation and transfer-out rates for Tidewater Community College, versus those community colleges in Virginia, which can be valuable information for determining which school to attend.
|Tidewater Community College||Norfolk City||Virginia|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
Campus: Virginia Beach Campus
- Dietetic Technician Program
- Accredited by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (since 1980)
- Funeral Service Education Program
- Accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education, Committee on Accreditation (since 2008)
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) Program
- Accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (since 1998)
- Radiology Technician Program
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1986)
Campus: Portsmouth Campus
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program
- Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1978)
- Find all the other nursing programs in Virginia
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Tidewater Community College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
Family and Consumer Sciences
Foreign Languages and Literature
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Personal and Culinary Services
Recreation and Fitness Studies
Security and Protective Services
Transportation and Materials Moving
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Tidewater Community College.
- Thomas Nelson Community College in Hampton, VA (16 miles away)
- Paul D Camp Community College in Franklin, VA (38 miles away)
- Rappahannock Community College in Glenns, VA (53 miles away)
- Roanoke - Chowan Community College in Ahoskie, NC (54 miles away)
- Eastern Shore Community College in Melfa, VA (62 miles away)