On the 9th of May in 1972, the West Virginia Board of Regents created a community college by merging the Hancock Country Branch and Wheeling Campus of West Liberty State College to create the West Virginia Northern Community College. Simply called The Northern, the WVNCC is located in Wheeling in West Virginia. Today, WVNCC offers two-year associate degree programs as well as technical and certificate programs to six counties in West Virginia. WVNCC also has branches in other places including Weirton and New Martinsville to meet the demands of the community for technical education.
WVNCC has grown into the largest institution in West Virginia. It offers more than 70 programs to students of different age, race and culture. WVNCC offer a wide variety of courses in different disciplines including arts, sciences, communication, development study, criminal justice and community service. The school aims to spread education to local residents thereby not only empowering the labor market but also the immediate community surrounding the campus.
The tuition fee rate of WVNCC differs depending on the type of program as well as residence of the enrollees. In-district students have to pay $100 per credit hour while out-of-district and out-of-state students have to pay $329 per credit hour.
On the other hand, students who wish to proceed to a four-year bachelor’s course in another college or university can take advantage of the transfer program of the school. Currently, WVNCC has formal agreements with Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science, Franciscan University of Steubenville, Marshall University, West Virginia Wesleyan College and West Liberty University.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $3,900. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition estimates are:
- State Residents: $3,000-$3,600
- Out-of-State: $9,600-$11,520
- Charges for part-time students are:
- In-State: $130-$150 per unit
- Out-of-State: $400-$480 per unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||87%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||81%||$5,481|
|Receiving Student Loans||18%||$4,336|
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To support students and graduates, West Virginia Northern Community College may offer services like:
- Distance learning
- Remedial instructional courses
- Academic counseling for students
- Student employment
- Assistance to find work
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Many community colleges are not only a source of technical or career training but also a stepping stone for students to transfer-out to a 4-year college, therefore we have included both graduation and transfer rates below and how WVNCC compares against other community colleges in Ohio County and the community colleges in West Virginia as a whole.
|WVNCC||Ohio County||West Virginia|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program
- Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1977)
- Find all the other nursing programs in West Virginia
- Radiology Technician Program
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1961)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by West Virginia Northern Community College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Personal and Culinary Services
Public Administration and Social Services
Security and Protective Services
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to West Virginia Northern Community College.
- Allegany College of Maryland in Cumberland, MD (109 miles away)
- Mountwest Community and Technical College in Huntington, WV (146 miles away)
- Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College in Mount Gay, WV (168 miles away)
- Miami University - Middletown in Middletown, OH (196 miles away)
- Miami University - Hamilton in Hamilton, OH (209 miles away)