Established in 1912 as La Crosse Continuation and Adult Schools, the Western Technical College changed its name to Western Wisconsin Technical College in the early 1990s. However, it was in March 29, 2006 when it became officially known as Western Technical College. Today, most students also call WTC as Western. Located in La Crosse in Wisconsin, Western Technical College aims to provide excellence in student education based on the diversified needs of different students.
This is the reason why WTC offers 43 technical programs of different disciplines such as business, health, public safety, industrial technology and general studies. With the many courses available for the student, the school aims to impart ample knowledge and make students more competitive when looking for employment.
WTC also has agreements with various four-year colleges that enable students to easily transfer with junior standing thereby crediting all of their units from Western. The colleges that have transfer agreement with Western include the following:
- Capella University
- Franklin University
- Milwaukee School of Engineering
- University of Wisconsin-Stout
- Upper Iowa University
Students who plan to enroll for this Academic Year need to pay tuition fees depending on their location as well as program. For in-district students, the tuition fee rate is $122 per credit hour while non-resident students have to pay additional $61 per credit hour.
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The average "out of pocket" cost of attendance, after any grants and scholarships are considered, is around $8,900. In order to calculate a more accurate and detailed cost of attendance check out their cost calculator here. There is also a $30 application fee for those applying to a program. The figures listed below are for informational purposes only and do not represent current or future tuition, fees, and expenses.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Tuition estimates per year:
- State Residents: $3,500-$4,200
- Out-of-State: $5,800-$6,934
- Part-time students are charged:
- State Residents: $130-$150 per credit unit
- Nonresidents: $190-$230 per credit unit
Financial Aid Details
The table below breaks down the types of financial aid, the percent of students receiving aid, and average amount of aid per student per year.
|Percent of Students||Average Amount|
|Any Financial Aid||53%||-|
|Receiving Grants & Scholarships||38%||$4,717|
|Receiving Student Loans||38%||$4,825|
Admissions, Academics, & Student Services
To help support students, Western Technical College – La Crosse may offer services like:
- Online course work available
- Weekend and night classes available
- Remedial courses
- Counseling assistance
- Employing students to lower education costs
- Employment search assistance
Graduation & Transfer Rates
Community colleges often offer both career training programs and options for students to transfer-out to four year institutions, which is why the table below is so important, it compares this school against community colleges in Wisconsin.
|Western Technical College – La Crosse||La Crosse County||Wisconsin|
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Dental Assistant Program
- Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1967)
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program
- Accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. ? May 6, 2013 Formerly: National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (since 1976)
- Compare all associate's degree in nursing (ADN) programs in Wisconsin
- Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) Program
- Accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (since 1997)
- Radiology Technician Program
- Accredited by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (since 1973)
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Western Technical College – La Crosse by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Business and Marketing Studies
Computer and Information Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Legal Professions and Studies
Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mechanic and Repair Technology
Personal and Culinary Services
Security and Protective Services
Visual and Performing Arts
Other Community Colleges Nearby
The list of nearby schools has been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Western Technical College – La Crosse.
- Minnesota State College - Southeast Technical in Winona, MN (24 miles away)
- Northeast Iowa Community College - Calmar in Calmar, IA (53 miles away)
- Rochester Community and Technical College in Rochester, MN (60 miles away)
- Southwest Wisconsin Technical College in Fennimore, WI (66 miles away)
- Chippewa Valley Technical College in Eau Claire, WI (69 miles away)