Meharry Medical College, located in Nashville, Tennessee, was founded 1876 as the medical department of Central Tennessee College, which was formed through a donation 15,000 dollars by Samuel Meharry and four of his brothers along with aid from other sources, including the Freedman's Aid Society and various branches of the Methodist Church. The school separated from Central Tennessee College in 1915, obtaining its own charter and operating as a graduate facility. Meharry Medical College is the oldest privately operated historically black institution in the United States, and is among the top providers for education in the medical field for African Americans. The Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved is a quarterly periodical edited and owned by the college.
Meharry Medical College operates three schools that provide education in varying medical fields and allied health. Programs are graduate level and require students to have earned a lower degree elsewhere in order to be considered for admission and enrollment. Students may earn a master's or PhD depending on the program enrolled in. In addition, the school accepts application for residency for individuals wishing to practice medicine and having completed an accredited program.
Programs offered include:
Admissions and Financial Aid
Individuals wishing to enroll at Meharry Medical College must first choose which school they wish to apply to. Once chosen, the applicant must meet the requirements for the school, supplying an application, academic information, test scores and any other documentation necessary for the school to review and determine whether the student will be admitted. Enrollment space is limited in each of the schools, thus selection is competitive. Individuals should work diligently to provide the best application possible along with glowing teacher recommendations.
Financial aid is available in the form of loans, grants, loans and work study programs. Individuals must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which will be used to identify need and determine program eligibility. Students must reapply for aid prior to the start of each academic year.
The program list below is organized by areas of study. The programs that have a link will direct you to the program's profile page where you can learn more about education requirements and career pathways.
Get more information about the programs offered by Meharry Medical College by clicking the request information to the right.
(C) Certificate or Award | (A) Associate's | (B) Bachelor's | (M) Master's Degree | (D) Doctorate (PhD,...)
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Health and Clinical Professions
Estimated Costs & Financial Aid
The items listed below are for informational purposes only and may not represent current tuition, fees, and expenses.
Note: Financial aid is only available for those who qualify, check with the school for details.
Tuition & Fees Information
- Annual tuition for graduate students is estimated to range between $22,000-$27,000
- Required fees for graduate students are around $6,400
- Annual tuition estimates for specific graduate schools:
- Dental School: $50,000
- Medical School: $48,000 (See all Medical Schools in Tennessee)
Academics & Student Services
Specialized Programs & Accreditations
- Medical (M.D.) Program
- * Accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (since 1942)
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Program
- * Accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation (since 1992)
- Graduate Level Public Health (Outside School of Public Health) Program
- * Accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (since 2009)
Other Graduate Schools
The list of schools below have been selected by researching which schools offer similar programs to Meharry Medical College.
- Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta, GA (215 miles away)
- A T Still University of Health Sciences in Kirksville, MO (419 miles away)
- Northeast Ohio Medical University in Rootstown, OH (454 miles away)
- Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, VA (585 miles away)
- Mayo Medical School in Rochester, MN (619 miles away)